Flower Prints in Sculpey and in Playdough

Aren’t these beautiful? Maia’s been asking to make the sculpey nature prints again so we finally did another batch with all the spring blooming flowers we could find.

Clockwise from left: dandelion, buttercup? (little yellow flower growing wild in our yard), miniature daffodil, and periwinkle (vinca).

Then we got out the playdough and pressed our sculpey flowers and leaves into the soft playdough (actually homemade play clay–a recipe from MaryAnn F. Kohl’s First Art). I was surprised at how well they worked as molds and how much detail the playdough captured!

I know I’ve shown you some photos, but I’m obviously in love with these right now and am going to show you a few more.

This is Lemon Balm.

Dusty Miller.

Grape Hyacinth.

I didn’t think the thicker items came across as effectively in the sculpey, but once the sculpey was used as a mold for the playdough, the thicker items were actually better than the more delicate ones.

Maia and I both loved these! We were oohing and ahing for at least an hour. With both the sculpey nature prints and the playdough imprints (I’m still not sure what to call them), making them is fun and easy and the result is beautiful–the perfect combination of process and product in my mind!

P.S. This is the sculpey clay that we used.

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

I have the sculpey … just waiting on the NATURE part of this project. Argh. Unless you think brown, more brown and ugly brown twigs and leaves are beautiful … begging for spring to come our way. BEGGING.

You can buy Sculpey at art supply stores. In our store it’s in the section near the paint with the plaster of paris and other modeling materials. It’s about $11 for a box, but I always buy it when I have a half-off coupon.

3. outsidetheblue says

We made some of these and H loved it. I was impressed with how much detail we got also. Though the next time we do this I need to make sure to make bigger balls of sculpty, ours were much smaller about the size of a quarter and while they came out fine, a couple of them have not held up to the roughness of preschoolers.

Did you use the whole block or just one of the 4 pieces the block is divided up into? Yours look bigger in your daughters hands. Ours were a bit over cooked! But still a great project that we will do again!

Doing this activity periodically throughout the year is a fun way for children to notice which plants are in bloom during different times of the year. What a great idea to revisit the project in this way!

Kristen – I think I bought a larger box than you since I bought white. When you buy colors they are often in smaller boxes, right? I divided my large white blog into 18 pieces with a knife first, then rolled each cube into a ball. Ours are fairly sizeable–about 3 inches across. The cooking time depends on how thick your piece is. Ours varied in thickness, but were mostly about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick.

7. Lisa says

I’ve bookmarked this to come back to. Love the idea and now ready to purchase Sculpey. I was wondering if it was just plain old Sculpey or Sculpey III?