Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue PaperHave you experimented with bleeding tissue paper yet? It’s interesting because you apply it as you would in a collage, yet the color from the tissue paper “bleeds” out onto the surface of the paper or egg or whatever, acting like a paint.

We recently tried coloring Easter eggs with bleeding tissue paper, which was lots of fun, with cool results.

I have two Easter egg projects here:

The first is an Easter egg mosaic on paper using the bleeding tissue paper.

In the second, we colored Easter eggs (real ones) with the bleeding tissue paper.

jeanspics_04-2009_pic0181

We finally got our order of bleeding tissue paper yesterday so were able to have another go at the tissue paper staining project that we tried last month.

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper

Maia and I both used crayons to draw eggs on our paper first, then started in with the tissue paper and water.

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper

Yay for bleeding tissue paper! It really works!

(It also stains tables. I found this out the hard way—anyone know how to get the stain out?)

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper Maias

Here’s Maia’s egg picture.

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper

And here’s mine.

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper

I also made a frame with the bleeding tissue paper, leaving the center blank. I was going to let it dry then offer it to Maia, but she wanted to draw a picture in it immediately. Here she’s pointing out all the Easter eggs and Easter candy that she’s drawn.

jeanspics_04-2009_pic0251

After our success with the bleeding tissue paper art, I decided to take it a step further and use it to dye some eggs. Marlise was over for the evening and we all sat down after dinner with hard-boiled eggs, the plate of tissue paper, and water (once again I forgot to cover the table!).

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper - in Carton

We brushed water on the eggs, applied tissue paper pieces, then brushed more water on top. Here are the eggs with wet tissue paper. We let them sit for about an hour before removing the paper.

Coloring Easter Eggs with Bleeding Tissue Paper

And here are the finished eggs once the tissue paper has been peeled off. I love them!

And coloring Easter eggs with bleeding tissue paper is so easy. I actually like how they look with the tissue paper still on, too, and might try some mod podge and tissue paper eggs next year — maybe with blown eggs.

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

i’ve been wanting to give bleeding tissue paper a go…now i have to.
    I let my son transfer water with food coloring between containers and my table turned green. Nothing would take it out but then i read online that the mr clean magic eraser works. I found a similar product not the mr clean brand that took it all out. It does take elbow grease if it’s been sitting but keep scrubbing and it’ll come. That stuff is magic!

Ok, I have to ask – what is “bleeding” tissue paper and how do I find it? The eggs look so neat! By the way, LOVE all the photos!

What a great idea for staining the eggs. I never thought of that! Speaking of colors staining, funny you should bring that up. Even those trusty washable watercolors about which I always sing the praises, have leaked on my new and UNstained wood deck, thus staining it blue and magenta. Anyone have any suggestions for that little dilemma?
    Happy spring holidays everyone!

4. threegirlpileup says

Thanks for this idea. We had a great time both dyeing eggs with the bleeding tissue and just gluing tissue paper on the outside. I’m like you, I love both!

5. Melody says

I use baking soda to get the stains off the tables at my daycare (and many other things). It works great!

6. Harry and Maia says

Hi hon
    Maia and I had a great Easter while you were (are) in FL!! I took some good pictures of Maia hunting around for eggs in the yard…the “Easter Bunny” left all the dyed real eggs all over the yard, and a dozen plastic eggs filled with treats. Maia wasted no time in finding every single plastic treat-filled egg, and left behind all the real eggs!
    Now its raining here, enjoy the su8nshine in FL while the plants here get some good water.
    Love,
    Harry and Maia

Love the rainbow eggs and especially (or…EGG-specially) Mia’s Egg picture!
    One can never have TOO many photos in a post : )
    I gave you a shout out today on my blog with my post about making your nature prints to commemorate our trip to visit great grandmothers and their gardens!

Love the rainbow eggs and especially (or…EGG-specially) Maia’s Egg picture!
    One can never have TOO many photos in a post : )

I have got to bookmark this craft for next spring! This year we just made paper cut outs of eggs, chicks, and bunnies and then dyed our eggs the old fashioned way. But oh gosh, what a neat way to decorate eggs for Easter and Spring.

10. newbgning says

I’d like to post a picture of your dyed eggs with a link to your post on my blog. Please let me know if I should refrain. Thanks for inspiring us all!