Heart Rocks for Valentine’s Day

HeartRocks11

HeartRocks14

HeartRocks16

HeartRocks19

HeartRocks17

HeartRocks02

If you liked these Heart Rocks, then you might like the other Valentine's Day crafts and recipes in The Artful Winter ebook:

The Artful Winter Ad 690 Valentines

Comments

1. Bonnie says

Seriously, where do you get your smooth rocks? This a great art project. I need smooth rocks for another educational project and have not found source.

2. Rachel says

oh how fun! my boys will love anything that can go in a dump truck or make a “stone walkway” next to a tower!
    where do you get your rocks?

Pretty! We’ve done a lot of these stones, but I like this idea and might have to do it on Asher’s “heart” day (the anniversary of his heart surgery). Usually we buy him a stone or wood heart, but I’d like to do this next year.

Love this (for my Gran the geologist especially) and might just make these as Valentine’s for the kids school friends. We did fabric hearts with glue on paper last year but I am loving this even more! I bet they would look pretty with tissue paper or even newsprint as well. Did you use regular Mod Podge or the outdoor stuff? I haven’t used the outdoor stuff before but this might be a good reason to try it!

My husband built a rock retaining wall in our backyard a while back and we have some smooth river rocks left over from that project that we had bought from a rock place. It sounds like you can get them at art supply stores as well (or maybe pick up a few on a nature walk…).

I just used regular mod podge because that’s what I already had on hand. I didn’t even know they made special outdoor stuff! I like the idea of trying this with tissue paper or newsprint. Actually newspaper! That’s what I want to try!

7. catandboy says

Hi,
    I just recently discovered your blog and I am super NON crafty. But I want to do art projects with my kid. What is mod podge and how do you use it?
    Thanks.

8. catandboy says

P.S. I love this blog and I’m going to try to organize a play date around your home made playdough recipe!

9. lubee says

Wow! I know what I’m doing this weekend. I found the rocks at the dollar tree last year and use them in my science center but I’m going to take some of them for this project. Thanks

I love the rocks…but I’m dying to know the pattern for the knit heart. I just received a bag of pink and red and white yarn and need to knit some valentines!

11. Emily O. says

We do rocks for our yearly bereavement camp and have gotten them from a local landscape supply company that sell pavers, etc. But Michael’s sounds like a good source if you don’t need many. We heat up the stones in a crockpot or oven on low until they’re warm but not hot, and then the kids color on them with crayons. As they cool, the drawing sets.

I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now. I have a ten-month old daughter and am trying to incorporate art in our daily activities. I’m so glad I came across your blog – you are definitely an inspiration and a help! I love these rocks! What simple fun! I’ll tuck it away as an idea for the future. Thanks!

I think you could even be so bold as to say that these are “Hard Rock Valentines.” Yes? Yes? Haha. Okay, a bit cheesy, but I couldn’t help it. Such a fun project. I really want to make some now.

14. lubee says

I just made a “batch” of these rocks and it was so fun. I also made a rock with fabric initials for each of my nieces. I think I’ll date the back and give it to them with their Valentine’s card. Thanks for the great idea. I’m thinking now that maybe I should make one for each of my students. ???? Did you spray your rocks when they were dry? The bottle suggest it.

15. Rachel says

we did a variation of this project today: thx for the inspiration! justin wanted to make them for his classmates. he drew hearts on fabric but didn’t like the way those turned out… so then he used a heart punch and punched out paper hearts, then wrote the name of a classmate and his name, then modge-podged them onto the rock. it was super fun!

What a neat idea! Thanks. They look like perfect counting manipulatives. Do they hold up well with little hands?

It’s so adorable, Jean. Heart’s day is so near and I love to have that for myself. I’ll put it on our living room to add a good view. It’s very artistic.