Need a fun Valentine craft project for your kids (or yourself!)? Here’s a super simple one that involves three favorite art materials of every child I know—rocks, glue, and glitter. Seriously, how could you go wrong?
We made these this afternoon as an afterschool playdate activity.
Here’s the how-to and the (gratuitous) pics…
Glitter Rock Valentines for Kids
- Small rocks
- Glitter (this glitter set looks amazing!)
1. Gather small, smooth rocks and wash and dry them. I scrub the rocks briefly, rinse them, and spread them out on a cookie sheet in a hot oven for a few minutes to dry.* I prepared the rocks ahead of time so they would be ready to work with when the kids got home, but it would be a fun activity extension for them.
*Note :: If you gather rocks from a wet area, such as a stream, do NOT put them in the oven as the moisture may make them explode.
2. Squeeze a small amount of white glue into a dish. We used Elmer’s School Glue. I imagine Mod Podge would work, too.
3. Use a fine paint brush to paint a heart on a rock with glue.
4. Sprinkle your wet glue heart with glitter.
5. Shake off the excess glitter.
6. Admire and share your new glitter rock valentine.
8. Make more rock Valentines.
Here are Maia’s Valentines.
Daphne had great fun making her glitter rocks.
As did I.
This project was inspired by our family’s love of glitter as well as the fabric heart rocks we made a couple years ago.
How about you? What are your favorite Valentines for kids? Or what Valentine’s Day crafts are you up to these days?
Pin It for Later