A Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral

A Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral!

We’ve been experimenting more with melted bead suncatchers and I wanted to share a beautiful one that Maia made this weekend—a rainbow spiraled melted bead suncatcher!

Here’s how she did it:

Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral 1

First, she strung translucent pony beads along embroidery thread. We’ve all been in bead stringing mode the past few days, but while Daphne and I strung the colors rather randomly, Maia strung hers in rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. Oh, and some pink in there, too.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral 2

After filling her length of embroidery thread with the beads, she spiraled them around on the table and told me to come see how beautiful they were that way. I asked her if she wanted to try to make it into a suncatcher that way and she said, YES!

Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral 3

She recreated the spiral on an old metal cake pan and trimmed off the thread ends. (We should have tied off that last pink bead to hold the beads in place—as it was a few fell off the string during the walk from the house to the grill.)

Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral 4

I put the pan on the hot gas grill with the top down. I melted them on high, which is over 450 degrees on our grill, and it went quick. Maybe five minutes tops. Here’s a picture (above) of the half-melted beads after a couple of minutes.

Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral 6

And here’s a picture of the spiral suncatcher with the beads completely melted. I set the pan on the patio for a few minutes to cool then popped off the hard suncatcher.

A Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral!

And here’s the beautiful, finished suncatcher, held up to the light!

Maia and I have ideas for lots more melted bead suncatchers made with beads strung on thread and also on wire (which we’ve experimented with a little, too). I think there’s a lot of potential with the more free form shapes that would be possible with strung beads…

If you’re looking for more melted bead suncatcher ideas, here are my melted bead suncatcher posts so far:

Note: This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

1. Nina says

Thanks so much for this idea today. We just made a bunch of them with great results. We made one where we used a skewer to draw into the melted beads.

2. katie says

We used “valentine” colors and put them in heart cookie cutters then in oven as vday gifts

3. nancy says

These are beautiful. I live in an apt. building. Do you think I could melt these indoors or does it give off any kind of toxic smell or smoke?

You could do it indoors (and we did the first time), but yes, the fumes from the melting plastic are not good to breathe. If you do it, ventilate well! Maybe you could convince a friend (who has a porch with toaster oven or yard with grill etc) to do the project with you?

5. Lesley says

Hi
    I’d like to know is there a special type of bead that is used? I am having trouble finding this kind of bead.

6. K hanau says

I wonder if you could use fishing line, clear thread, that clear plastic lacing material or even floss?

7. grace says

what type of thread was used to bead these? I would like to use them in my class as well b/c I lOVE this project!!

8. sandy blue says

For the beaded suncatchers,, I would use use one of those clear stretchy cords so you wouldn’t see the string in the melted beads. Otherwise the colours were very pretty

9. Sarah says

I just found this and I’m about to go find pony beads to make myself wedding decorations. Have you tried using fishing line to see if maybe you wouldn’t get the line where you can see the string?

10. Loretta says

Was looking for fun ideas for kids and came upon your lovely website!! Thanks so much for the beautiful crafts you offer with plastic beads. Who would have thought it would be so easy..?? (and beautiful, too!) Will try when my special girl comes this weekend. She will love this.