Some of our favorite ways to make melted plastic bead suncatchers on the grill. These homemade suncatchers are easy to make, durable & beautiful!
If you know anything about The Artful Parent, you’ll know that we love suncatcher arts and crafts in general and that we REALLY love melted bead suncatchers!
We’ve made all kinds of melted plastic bead suncatchers! And we’re going to share some of our favorite ideas.
How to Make Melted Plastic Bead Suncatchers
- Translucent plastic pony beads
- A metal pan of some sort, whether a cookie sheet (for many of the flat suncatchers), an old muffin tin (for the small round disks), metal cookie cutters (for the fairy wands or shaped ornaments), or a thrift store jelly mold (for the 3D hearts and stars)
- A way to heat and melt the beads. Important Note! The melting plastic is not good to breathe, so be sure to do this project outside. We make all of our melted bead suncatchers on the gas grill outside, so that we don’t get any toxic chemicals inside. The grill works great and only takes about 10 minutes! You could also use a toaster oven outside. But whichever way you melt the beads, be sure to do so outside!
And be sure to read our post on how to make melted bead suncatchers first.
If you’re looking for different ways to make suncatchers from plastic pony beads, here our 7 favorites:
1. How to Make a Suncatcher with Beads
Melted bead suncatchers are easy to make from kids’ plastic pony beads. Follow these step-by-step instructions to make a beautiful and durable suncatcher.
2. How to Make Rainbow Plastic Bead Suncatchers
Arrange your pony beads into a rainbow for a beautiful addition to any window!
3. A Melted Bead Suncatcher Mobile
How to make a colorful melted bead suncatcher mobile. This is such a fun craft to do with kids & makes a great decoration or gift!
4. Make Suncatcher Hearts
You can melt beads to make suncatcher hearts, stars, words, shapes, and more if you string them on thread or wire first. Here’s an easy tutorial and photos.
5. Suncatchers in Embroidery Hoop Frames
Use an embroidery hoop as your suncatcher frame! They are perfect for displaying or gift giving.
6. Make a DIY Fairy Wand with Plastic Beads
Learn how to make a dazzling DIY fairy wand from plastic pony beads! These kids’ fairy wands make great gifts, party favors, and pretend play accessories!
7. Make Melted Bead Art
Make easy and beautiful melted bead art and free form suncatchers and mobiles using beads and thread or wire.
And remember: melting plastic is toxic, so be sure to follow the directions for each of these projects closely and do this project outside!
More Suncatcher Crafts for Kids
- How to Make Melted Bead Suncatchers
- Tissue Paper Suncatchers for Kids
- How to Make a Flower Suncatcher
- A Nature Suncatcher Craft for Kids
- Stained Glass & Suncatchers from the Artful Parent
Pin It for Later