Melted Crayon Easter Eggs

Making Melted Crayon Easter Eggs with Kids

We just finished dyeing our Easter eggs and we are so, so happy with them!

In our humble opinions they are just beautiful. This is one of our all-time favorite Easter egg decorating ideas.

Here’s how we did it…

Making Melted Crayon Easter Eggs with Kids

Melted Crayon Easter Eggs

MATERIALS

• White eggs
  • Crayons
  • Food coloring
  • White vinegar
  • (or skip the last two items and use a commercial egg-dyeing kit)

INSTRUCTIONS

Making Melted Crayon Easter Eggs with Kids

First we did our melted crayon drawings on the eggs by drawing on the fresh-boiled eggs while they were still hot. The crayon melted on smoothly as we drew.

Note :: We just leave the eggs in the pot of hot water and take out a couple at a time to work on.

Getting Ready to Dye Melted Crayon Easter Eggs

Then we prepared our dye with about 3/4 cup hot water, a few drops of food coloring, and 1 Tbsp white vinegar per color.

Dyeing Melted Crayon Easter Eggs

We added our eggs to the jars of dye…

A Melted Crayon Easter Egg Face

…and admired our melted crayon Easter eggs as they came out of the dye…

A Melted Crayon Easter Egg after Dyeing

I love how vibrant the melted crayon drawings and scribbles look on the eggs!

Melted Crayon Easter Eggs

And love the crayon resist effect with the dye.

A Bowl of Melted Crayon Easter Eggs

Between our painted Easter rocks, our bowl full of melted crayon Easter eggs, and our bouquet of daffodils from the garden, I think we’re ready for Easter.

How about you? Have you tried melted crayon Easter eggs? If not highly recommend it!

More Easter Egg Decorating Ideas

Pin It for Later ::

Melted Crayon Easter Eggs with Children

Subscribe to The Artful Parent newsletter

Comments

1. amy says

Wow. These really are gorgeous!! Did you have any complaints about hot eggs, or did the egg carton eliminate the need to hold them?

We did the same thing today…not really on purpose, but once we discovered how cool it was to see the melted designs we all got in on the fun. They really do turn out beautifully. Have a very Happy Easter and Be-lated Birthday wishes, too.

You constantly amaze me.
    These are GORGEOUS and I love the whole concept of melted wax relief on eggs.
    Sending blessings to you and yours,
    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

4. Maria says

Beautiful! I’m going to put some pictures of our dyeing extravaganza up in a bit – you can check em out!

5. Jaimie says

Great idea! I love the melted wax. We did something similar today but by melting some wax and trying to apply it, and it wasn’t all that successful. I’m definitely going to try this next year.

Great designs on those eggs. The color combinations came out really fun. I just tried some of those today with my munchkin. Attempting a tape resist is fun too.

What an interesting technique! You’d think I would have heard of them all by now, but every year I see a new one I hadn’t known about. Thanks for sharing, and happy Easter.

Lovely! We blew the insides out of our eggs before we drew on them and dyed them. I’m glad we did ‘blowing’ because I never have before and it was fun. But really, we forgot to eat the insides anyway – and our crayon wax just didn’t look so great – next year eh!

9. manu says

wow….! those are really cool and very beautiful.. i wonder how few people come up with such a new ideas…. im definately going to try this. great job and thanks..

I love this idea and I’m thinking I’ll try it with my 1.5 yr old this Friday – he can scribble on the eggs and I’ll do the dye-dipping… however just one question: how long do you need to hold the eggs in the dye for it to take?
    Thanks for sharing this lovely Easter project! I sometimes find it hard to find the right creative activities for my little one.

I love to play easter eggs hunts it makes me think of a place that I could see lots of animals.I wish the animals is going to hide eggs and we find it