Use an egg as a mini canvas for Easter egg art!
Updated January 2024
Decorating Easter eggs is so much fun, and there are a ton of great ways to do it!
This fun idea combines three techniques: drawing with Sharpies, dying with Kool-Aid, and drawing in frames.
We like frames. You may remember the DIY frame wallpaper we’ve done in the past or the various creative drawing prompts we’ve done with frames. Frames seem to inspire kids more than just a plain piece of paper. They provide a good balance of open-ended inspiration within a defined space. The perfect addition for your egg art!
Easter Egg Art for Kids
- White eggs, hardboiled
- Sharpie markers
- Plastic placemats or something else to protect the table
- Silicone ice cube molds (optional for holding the eggs in place; you could also use egg cartons or muffin tins)
- Kool-Aid + white vinegar for dyeing the eggs (you can also use food coloring or any commercial kit)
Time needed: 2 days
- Draw frames on eggs
Draw a variety of frames on hard boiled eggs using a black Sharpie. You can do this ahead of time, to have everything set up and ready to go for your activity.
- Let kids draw inside frames
Draw pictures inside of the frames using your Sharpies.
- Dye Eggs
When the Sharpie drawing is fully dry, it’s time to dye the eggs. Pour the Kool-Aid powder into cups, then add hot water and 2 Tbs of distilled white vinegar to each cup.
Use tongs to dip the eggs into the Kool-Aid dye to keep the dye around the frame rather than inside where the drawings are.
The Kool-Aid dye is intense and works quickly, so you don’t have to hold the eggs in place for long.
We were quite pleased with how the eggs turned out!
More Easter Arts and Crafts
- 30 Easter Activities for Kids
- 11 Ideas for Decorating Easter Eggs
- 8 Easter Crafts for Kids
- 5 Easter Egg Decorating Ideas Inspired by Nature
- Painting with Peeps Easter Art
Want even more creative ideas?
Check out our Easter Creativity pack!
Celebrate this fun holiday with all kinds of adorable creative activities! This 32-page printable eBook is full of coloring pages, drawing prompts, games, and more!
Pin It For Later