Masking Tape Art for Kids

Masking Tape Art for Kids

This post contains affiliate links.When I unveiled a set of four rolls of colored masking tape the other day, you couldn’t have seen a happier kid.

She loves tape!

My thought process went something like this :: “If I give Maia something really fun to work with, I’ll be able to get some sewing done.”

I have to say it worked. She cut and taped happily for about an hour.

Masking Tape Art for Kids

Using Colored Masking Tape for Kids Tape Art

This post contains affiliate links.MATERIALS

Masking Tape Art with Kids

Maia chose poster board for her masking tape art from the selection I keep in the studio. This red one is a red/blue reversible poster board that we’re enjoying these days when we want a change of pace from white.

Masking Tape Art with Kids

The colored masking tape was very easy for Maia to unroll, cut, and use herself.

I imagine that younger and older kids would probably have just as much fun with it. Heck, I’d probably have just as much fun! I’m wishing we had a tape dispenser like Kayte and Arwens, though. I may need to rig something up…

Masking Tape Art with Kids

Here’s one of Maia’s finished pieces of tape art. It’s hard to see, but that’s a face floating above the pyramid of tape.

Kids Artwork on the Wall

I hung it (taped it, actually) on the living room wall along with a couple of her other artworks.

Have you tried masking tape art with your kids?

MORE MASKING TAPE ART PROJECTS

Pin It for Later ::

Masking Tape Art for Kids

Subscribe to The Artful Parent newsletter

Comments

1. Jojoebi says

We use the Japanese paper tape, it comes in lots of pretty colours and is cheap, thankfully considering the amount we get through.

2. Adelle F. says

Oooh, tape art is one of our favorites! We have about a dozen colors in a variety of different widths and it gets used almost daily for both 2D and 3D creations….lots of sculpture with cardboard tubes and colored tape!

we also use the regular tan masking tape, covering the whole page in a design..or just randomly placed, and then colorwash over it with watercolors or diluted acrylics.
    It makes a great background to use in altered art or with ATC’s…or just art as is.
    happy day!

4. MaryAnn F. Kohl, art author says

Try it on a square of matboard. It looks like a weaving. I just posted a couple of art examples on your Facebook Artful Parent page so you can see some colored masking tape ideas kids love.

5. jenchris says

If you think of a good way to rig up a tape dispenser for those rolls of tape, please share. I’ve been brainstorming that one.

I love this idea, and my boys will too. They are always stealing my tape (but it’s not fun tape haha) Can’t wait to get some for them!

I’ve never actually seen coloured masking tape. The paper tape doesn’t peel off as easily as masking tape – we found out the hard way!

Kids in my class love using tape. We use it for roads on the floor. And this week we had a ball with tape and paper scraps. Tape is one of our favorite things!

I can’t wait to get some colored tape. A thought on a tape dispenser: maybe use wall-mounted paper towel dispensers? I’m going to look into this. They would fit perfectly under my studio cabinets.

Love it, my 6 year old creator would go crazy for this…as well as my 3 year old scissor happy toddler! great blog, thanks for the insight. Can’t wait to keep following, glad I found you.