Masking tape art

MaskingTapeArt02

When I unveiled a set of four rolls of colored masking tape the other day, you couldn't have seen a happier kid. She loves tape! My thought process went something like this: "If I give Maia something really fun to work with, I'll be able to get some sewing done." I have to say it worked. She cut and taped happily for about an hour.

MaskingTapeArt05

Maia chose poster board for her tape art from the selection I keep in the studio. This red one is a red/blue reversible poster board that we're enjoying these days when we want a change of pace from white.

MaskingTapeArt08

The colored masking tape was very easy for Maia to unroll, cut, and use herself. I imagine that younger and older kids would probably have just as much fun with it. Heck, I'd probably have just as much fun! I'm wishing we had a tape dispenser like Kayte and Arwens, though. I may need to rig something up…

MaskingTapeArt09

Here's one of Maia's finished pieces of tape art. It's hard to see, but that's a face floating above the pyramid of tape.

TapeArtwork2

I hung it (taped it, actually) on the living room wall along with a couple of her other artworks.

Have you tried tape art?

Note: I am now a Discount School Supply affiliate and the links in this post are affiliate links. If you follow a link and place a purchase, I will receive a small percentage of the sales price from Discount School Supply and will send you virtual hugs.

Comments

1. Adelle F. says

Oooh, tape art is one of our favorites! We have about a dozen colors in a variety of different widths and it gets used almost daily for both 2D and 3D creations….lots of sculpture with cardboard tubes and colored tape!

we also use the regular tan masking tape, covering the whole page in a design..or just randomly placed, and then colorwash over it with watercolors or diluted acrylics.
    It makes a great background to use in altered art or with ATC’s…or just art as is.
    happy day!

3. jenchris says

If you think of a good way to rig up a tape dispenser for those rolls of tape, please share. I’ve been brainstorming that one.

I love this idea, and my boys will too. They are always stealing my tape (but it’s not fun tape haha) Can’t wait to get some for them!

I’ve never actually seen coloured masking tape. The paper tape doesn’t peel off as easily as masking tape – we found out the hard way!

Kids in my class love using tape. We use it for roads on the floor. And this week we had a ball with tape and paper scraps. Tape is one of our favorite things!

I can’t wait to get some colored tape. A thought on a tape dispenser: maybe use wall-mounted paper towel dispensers? I’m going to look into this. They would fit perfectly under my studio cabinets.

Love it, my 6 year old creator would go crazy for this…as well as my 3 year old scissor happy toddler! great blog, thanks for the insight. Can’t wait to keep following, glad I found you.