Yes, it can be messy sometimes and the finished item may not always look quite as it would if you had cooked it yourself, but you are building memories alongside skills.
And that is always worth it.
Here are more than 50 recipes, tips, and ideas for cooking with kids.
Most of the following posts include recipes, some include links to the recipes we used, and a few are more about cooking with kids than the actual recipe. (And a few are just recipes without the cooking-with-kids element.)
Kid’s Cookbooks & Aprons
- Pretend Soup :: A Great Cookbook for Young Kids
- Kids’ Kitchen Recipe Cards by Barefoot Books
- A Child’s Apron (and link to our favorite tutorial)
No-Cook Snacks for Kids
- Fruit Necklace = Fun Snack
- Pretzel Nests :: Creative Easter Snacks for Kids
- Edible Art! Grape Sculptures
Baking Bread with Kids
- Making the Best Ever Soft Pretzels!
- Pretzel Hearts
- Whole Wheat Bread Recipe :: Grandma’s Granary Bread
Cooking Breakfast with Kids
- My Favorite Granola Recipe
- Raspberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Popover Recipe from Pretend Soup Kids Cookbook
- Bear Pancakes
- The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- Heart Pancakes with Sprinkles :: A Valentine’s Day Breakfast Idea
Baking Desserts with Kids
- Rainforest Cookies
- Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
- Cinnamon Twists :: A Variation on Our Favorite Doughnuts
- Daphne Made Her Own Birthday Cake, Too!
- A Rainbow Bundt Cake to Celebrate
- Chocolate-Pretzel Christmas Trees :: A Holiday Treat Kids Can Make
- Cherry Hand Pies :: Heart Shaped for Valentine’s Day (or Any Day!)
- An Artful Spring Nest Cake with Ice Cream Eggs
- Kids in the Kitchen :: An Anytime Celebration Cake
- Kids in the Kitchen :: Baking up a Mystery Chocolate Dessert
- Bend and Shape Candy Canes!
- Some Christmas Making, Baking, and Experimenting (rollo-ritz sandwich cookie)
Decorating Cookies & Cakes with Kids
- Happy Birthday Maia! (& a Kid-Made Birthday Cake)
- Eight! (A Child-Made Cake with Chocolate Embellishments)
- A Fall Gingerbread House with Halloween Candy