A bathtub paint homemade recipe for kids that is quick and easy to make! And you likely already have the ingredients at home.
Updated June 2023
Taking baths and painting are our favorite “go-to” kids’ activities.
Our latest painting experience combined the two!
Try this easy bathtub paint recipe for kids. You can make it thick and use it as finger paint, or dilute it and use it with paintbrushes.
Our bathtub “paint” is washable, does not stain, and will help you clean your tub.
So, sit near the bathroom with a good book and let your kids have a blast! It won’t be quiet, but at least you can have some mommy down-time.
Bathtub Paint HomemadePrint
This bathtub “paint” is washable, does not stain and will help you clean your tub!
- 1 Cup of Dish Soap
- 1/2 Cup of Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- Dye – we used food coloring
- In a saucepan, mix the cornstarch into the cold water until it is dissolved—it should still be a bit pasty, but not clumpy. Then turn up the heat and bring the cornstarch water to a boil – stir constantly to make sure there are no chunks.
- Add the soap and mix, heating on medium temperature until just boiling. The soap should have a gel-like consistency as it cools.
- Add food coloring.
We have found that food coloring has the best results, but have also used tempera paint, really anything water-based should work fine to color the cornstarch/soap base.
- Store your paint in an airtight container. The paint will separate slightly when stored, stir well before use. Test the paint on a patch of your tub to ensure that your food coloring does not stain – and have fun!
I used the antibacterial scented hand soap, but whatever you use, know your kids will coat themselves with it—so be sure to pick something you know they don’t have a reaction to.
Looking for another bathtub paint recipe? Check out this one which uses shaving cream as its base.
More Homemade Art Supplies and Paint Ideas
- Homemade Art Materials for Kids
- How to Make Playdough for Kids Three Different Ways
- Make Homemade Watercolor Paints
- The Best Paints for Kids
- The BEST Fingerpaint for Babies
Pin It for Later