These are beautiful DIY kids flower crowns that are simple to make. Use fresh flowers for a beautiful stained glass effect and a great nature craft to celebrate spring or summer!
We made some beautiful DIY flower crowns yesterday. Necklaces, too.
So easy and yet really quite stunning. It seems the perfect lazy summer activity as well—to celebrate summer, for pretend play accessories, as a party activity, or just because.
Here’s how we did it…
DIY Kids Flower Crowns
- Posterboard, cardstock, or heavy paper
- Drawing tool, such as a pencil
- Utility knife such as X-acto
- Self-healing cutting mat or piece of cardboard
- Transparent contact paper (also known as sticky back plastic)
1. Draw the crown shapes
Draw the crown shapes on the posterboard, sketching in large-ish inset sections where the flower decorations will go. Cut out the crown. Scissors work best for the outside of the crown and an x-acto knife will work best for cutting out the insets. Make sure to protect your work surface with a cutting mat or cardboard if using an x-acto knife.
2. Add contact paper to the crown
Pull the paper backing off a piece of contact paper and lay on the table, sticky side up. Press the crown to the contact paper then cut away the excess contact paper from the outer edges.
3. Decorate crown with flowers
Press flower petals to the contact paper, creating a bejeweled, stained glass effect.
4. Give the crown a stained glass effect
Cut small pieces of contact paper to overlap the inset sections of the crown and press over the flower petal stained glass.
5. Fit the crown
Wrap the flower crown around your head and tape in place.
6. Admire your new DIY crowns
Aren’t the crowns just beautiful? I love the ethereal stained glass effect!
Perfect for flower princesses and princes, fairies, elves, and anything else your child can imagine…
The kids made flower necklaces, too, using circles of leftover cardstock and the same technique.
A hole punch and some yarn turned them into necklaces worthy of any flower princess…
You may want to make one of these DIY flower crowns for yourself as well. And a necklace or two. Just sayin’.
More Kids Flower Crown Ideas from The Artful Parent:
Links to Those Who Tried this Idea:
- A Lovely Morning (from Four Happy Hens)
- Pride, no prejudice. Or why my boys wear flower crowns (from amararama, the spirited u-turn)
Pin It for Later