Our favorite way to use playdough: as a pretend play tool! Here are some of our pretend play ideas for kids using playdough, including a playdough bakery.
Updated February 2022
We don’t know about your kids, but when our kids play with playdough, it usually turns into a pretend play fest more often than simply sculpture or art.
This time, when the kids sat down with a couple of big pieces of homemade playdough, we brought over a few of the most requested playdough play accessories: silicone muffin liners, toothpicks, and plastic pony beads.
The kids got to work making and decorating cupcakes by mounding the playdough in the cupcake liners and poking beads in the top as sprinkles.
They also added “candles” by poking the toothpicks through the centers of the beads. This is a great fine motor activity, by the way!
Or, adding balls of playdough to the tops of toothpicks and then adding more beads…
Or stacking the beads onto the toothpicks for extra beautiful candles!
Even More Pretend Play Ideas for Kids Using Playdough
- Our Favorite Playdough Play Ideas for Kids’ Everyday Creativity
- Fun Playdough Activities for Kids with Ideas to Play & Learn
- How to Use LEGOs to Make Pictures in Playdough
- Creative Small World Play Ideas for Kids
- Small World Playdough Play for Kids
- A Forest Diorama on Our Kitchen Table
Pin It for Later