Sewing A New Kids Art Smock

Share & Comment

jeanspics_04-2009_pic0743

Thanks for all your great comments and suggestions for my studio re-org! I have some thinking and puttering to do back there…

Yesterday I made Maia another art smock.

My usually more-than-willing model didn’t want me to take her picture in this (although she wore it around the house for over an hour after I made it), so here it is flat.

It’s big on her, which is perfect for a smock. I’ve loved the giraffe smock and have wanted a second since she’s outgrowing the dress we use as a back-up painting smock.

I know a lot of people like the waterproof smocks that wipe clean, but I prefer something that I can just toss in the wash. I’ve never had a problem with paint soaking through to her clothes and like that it’s not stiff like the oilcloth-type smocks.

jeanspics_04-2009_pic0749

As with the first art smock, I used a t-shirt that was too small for me and cut it up the back. But this time I used bias tape for the edges rather than hemming them. I love both the look of the bias tape and how quick and easy it was to use.

Now I think I need to add a couple of hooks in the studio for hanging up Maia’s smocks…



 
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy my weekly ARTletter. Sign up here for creativity delivered straight to your inbox.




 
Share & Comment

Comments

  1. says

    That turned out so cool! I especially like that it’s black because goodness knows how many colors of paint don’t actually come out of anything BUT black!