Black glue resist spiderwebs are our new favorite Halloween art project! Use black liquid glue to draw Halloween designs and then paint with watercolors to make spooky stained glass.
The black glue pops against the white paper, and then the bright watercolors shine through like a real stained-glass window.
This activity lends itself perfectly to Halloween, so you can make spiderwebs, jack-o’-lanterns, cats, bats, or any of your favorite spooky creatures!
How to Do a Halloween Art Project
- Half empty bottle of white glue (this is a great way to use all of those leftover bottles of glue we all have!)
- Black paint
- Watercolor paper or other sturdy paper/cardboard
- Watercolors (we also LOVE these neon tempera cakes)
- Water and paintbrushes
* If you don’t want to make black glue, you could also use regular glue and it will still be a super fun watercolor-resist art activity.
- Make your black glue
Add black paint to your bottle of glue and shake until the paint is completely mixed in and the glue is black.
- Draw your designs
Squeeze the black glue onto the paper or cardboard into a design.
We did spiderwebs, jack-o’-lanterns and a couple of cats!
- Let designs dry
Let your Halloween designs dry completely. Make sure you wait until everything is totally dry! We learned the hard way that if you paint while the glue is still wet, it makes a mess.
- Add paint!
Finally, use watercolors to paint your Halloween picture!
The dried glue prevents the watercolors from mixing and bleeding and creates such a cool stained-glass effect.
We had a blast making these black glue designs! My kids each tried their hands at using the glue to draw, but they really loved painting in the white spaces most of all.
The pictures we made are so vibrant! If you try this, you’ve definitely got to try it with neon colors!
More Halloween Art Projects for Kids
- 13 Awesome Halloween Craft Ideas for Kids
- How to Do Halloween Spider Web Art
- 10 Easy Halloween Crafts for Toddlers
- How to Make Halloween Suncatchers with Tissue Paper
- Halloween Art for Preschool: Tape Resist Skeletons
- 31 Days of Halloween Activities for Kids
Even More Halloween Art for Kids!
Pin It for Later