Everybody loves a rock, right? Byrd Baylor would say Everybody Needs a Rock.
Maia went through a phase as a toddler and preschooler where she would pick up and collect rocks anywhere we happened to be.
Piles of rocks.
Now it’s usually just a special rock here or there. And a budding interest in geology.
We like our rocks au naturel, but we also have a soft spot for rock arts and crafts.
18 Ways To Make Art With Rocks
(some we’ve done; some of these we’d like to do…)
Melted Crayon Rocks
1. Melted Crayon Rocks by drawing on hot rocks
2. Melted Crayon Rocks with crayon shavings (this was from Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning. The link no longer works, but to do the activity put crayon shavings on a rock and then leave it in the sun, or put briefly in a warm oven.)
3. DIY Wishing Stones (add words or drawings to melted crayon rocks)
4. Decorated Rocks Using Crayons — draw on the rocks then heat them to melt the drawings (on Paging Fun Mums)
6. Pour Painted Rocks (on Hands on As We Grow)
7. Painted Rocks Yard Art (on Family Focus Blog)
8. Painted Rocks as Guerrilla Art (on Make, Do & Friend)
Land Art for Kids
10. Rock and Nature Mandala (on Playful Learning)
11. Make Ephemeral Art with Loose Parts (on Mairtown Kindergarten)
Drawing on Rocks
12. Stone Owls (on Red Ted Art)
13. DIY Chalkboard Rocks (on Teach Preschool)
14. Story Stones (on Nurture Store)
15. Chalking On Rocks (on The Chocolate Muffin Tree)
More Fun Ideas for Art with Rocks
16. Rock With Chalk (on Almost Unschoolers)
17. Painted Rocks + Chalk Drawings (on Club Chica Circle)
18. More Painting With Rocks (on Fantastic Fun and Learning)
Question for you… Which of these ideas for rock art will you add to your summer bucket list? Or heck, which will you do with your kids in the coming week?
And if you’re still looking for fun ways to enjoy rocks, check out our other rock-related posts:
- Making Learning Fun (With Rocks!)
- 10 DIY Outdoor Games To Make With Rocks
- 5 Story Stones Ideas: Storytelling with Rocks
Pin It for Later