Gather pinecones, leaves and seed pods on a nature walk. Then paint and assemble these materials with this fun nature diorama project for kids. Project and post by Kiera Gladstone of ArtClassPDX.
Updated April 2022
Any time of year is a great time for a nature walk! I find it’s more fun to take a walk when I have a mission.
Grab a bag for collecting and invite young artists to look for abandoned acorn tops, seed pods, waxy leaves, sticks and small pebbles.
Look up, look under logs, look beneath your feet. You never know what you’ll find!
Paint your nature items to give them a pop of color, and then assemble them in a box or box lid for a fun and creative nature diorama!
How to Make a Nature Diorama with Kids
- A couple of boxes (shoe boxes or lids of gift boxes work well)
- A few colors of bright acrylic paint + white paint
- Paint brush and paint container
- Hot glue or YES! Paste
- Drawing tools of your choice
- Book pages from an old nature/bird identification guide (these can be found at almost any thrift shop)
- Collected nature items
- Decide on nature items to use
Once you’ve gathered your nature items, spread out all of your found materials. Decide which ones to include in the box.
- Paint the nature objects
Then mix the acrylic paints with a bit of white. This helps the colors show up well when painting on natural objects.
Next, paint the objects that were chosen for the box.
- Draw a nature scene
Think about something you saw that you couldn’t put in your collection bag. An interesting tree, a bird or a funny shaped cloud.
Use the book paper to draw that image.
- Glue materials inside box
Allow the painted materials to dry and attach them into your box. YES! Paste is great for young children, it’s like hot glue without the risk of burning oneself with the glue.
When your box is finished it will tell the story of your nature walk and will hopefully inspire you to create more stories with natural materials found right in your own backyard.
More Nature Crafts for Kids
- Nature Art for Kids
- 5 Nature Art Ideas for Kids
- Feather Art in a Box – A Nature Drawing Activity for Kids
- Recycled Art Projects for Kids
- Garden and Nature Arts and Crafts for Kids
Pin It for Later