Making the Best Ever Soft Pretzels!

Best Homemade Soft Pretzels

Okay. I know I just said that about the pizza Harry made the other night, but I swear I don't automatically think that about everything we cook. These pretzels were so yummy and salty fresh out of the oven that halfway through eating ours, Maia and I decided to rush some to Harry at work while they were still warm! They were that good.

Best Homemade Soft Pretzels

Making pretzels was #7 on The List (I'm jumping all over the place) and we used this recipe, recommended by Erica. She said she used to make all kinds of different shapes, but we stuck to regular pretzel shapes this time.

I had a big uh-oh moment when I finished kneading the dough and realized I hadn't added the melted butter. So I did my best to knead the butter into the dough after the fact (not very easy!) and thought that I had probably ruined everything. But they seemed to work out okay after all even though the dough wasn't as smooth as it could've been.

Best Homemade Soft Pretzels

Maia really enjoyed rolling the dough into long snakes, then curving the ends over to make the pretzels. After making the pretzel shapes, I dunked each in a boiling water/baking soda mix for half a minute then set them on cookie sheets.

Best Homemade Soft Pretzels

Maia brushed the egg yolk on each pretzel, then sprinkled on the salt. I couldn't find "pretzel salt" at the store so used course sea salt instead, which worked beautifully.

Best Homemade Soft Pretzels

We baked them, then immediately sat down to eat warm pretzels for lunch. Yum!

Comments

1. Becky says

Thanks to your awesome sight, which I just found and am recommending to many friends, we tried these yesterday also!!!! I see how well you oiled the baking pan – good call. I put down parchment paper with a tiny bit of oil and the pretzels stuck badly. But it was fun and they were delicious!!!! Thanks so much for your site!!!!

Oh, I do LOVE Alton Brown’s recipe for pretzels! They taste ‘correct’ and they are so easy to make, really. Hmmm….might have to make some today…
    I love your blog, and I read it all the time for your fantastic ideas! Thank you so much for all that you do and write about, it’s all very inspiring to me. I hope I can bring as much art and creativity into my kids’ life as you do for Maia.

3. sara adamchak says

Hello, I LOVE your blog!! I made a list as well, what a copycat I am!! We made the clean mud today and had a blast! We are going to make the pretzels and candle holders this weekend! You are so inspinring, THANKS.

I love soft pretzels and this is a new recipe to me — the problem is eating the entire batch myself. Good thinking on taking some to Harry, I should remember to do the same next time!

5. Allison says

I wanted to recommend watching “Good Eats” on the Food Network if you enjoy Alton Brown. He has become my favorite television chef b/c he goes way beyond ‘just add this or that ingredient and voila! here’s the final product’. It is very educational with an emphasis on science and history. I swear I learn something interesting and obscure every episode! Anyhow, I just wanted to share also to thank you for allowing us all into your world. I’m a better parent b/c of your posts.

Thanks Allison! Alton Brown sounds interesting. Unfortunately we only get one channel and it’s fuzzy. Maybe I’ll check it out at a friend’s house sometime.

7. Lindsey says

We made this recipe from your recomendation and LOVED it! Thanks for your great ideas and site. I’m also a parent trying to be intentional about art in our everyday activities and take many nuggets from your posts! Thanks again!

I have always wanted to make pretzels. I look forward to trying these soon. My daughter (age 3) loves to help anyway she can in the kitchen. It looks like your daughter had fun!

Oh, I’m SO glad these worked out for you! I figured Maia would have a good time with it. =) I’m not sure whether “pretzel salt” even exists… I just use coarse salt, too.
    Your story about leaving out the butter reminds me of a time I was baking a loaf of bread, and I had kneaded the whole thing and had a nice soft ball of dough when I looked over and saw the egg still resting on the counter. There was no kneading it in after the fact, because I tried and just ended up with an eggy mess. Yuck. I’m glad the butter wasn’t as disastrous to add later!

10. Georgina says

I loved the look of your prezels and gave them a go last weekend!! Wow they are yum! What a fab recipe!

Just wanted to say “thank you” again! I think I just may make these every Sunday for the rest of my life.
    Thank you for blogging. Maia is so lucky to have you.
    Would you be interested in posting about what reggio books you have been reading? I loved your “organizing the studio” post.

You’re welcome! They’re yummy, aren’t they?! Yes, I can post about reggio books (and other resources) — I’m still learning and working on this… -Jean

Hullo.
    My first time here!
    We’re big fan of buttery pretzels – might just have to do that today, it’s been a while! :)
    Thanks for the yummy reminder.
    Stephanie

14. H. Beckham says

What a great idea! Did you knead the dough by hand? I would love to try this recipe, but we do not have a stand alone mixer. Thank you!

15. Nancy Palmer says

Hi. Each Wednesday I have a special friend visit me. She is 23 yrs old and has Downs Syndrome. We spend the day baking. Last week I came across this great pretzel recipe and gave it a try. Not only did they turn out delicious, but we both had a great time making them. We will be making them again but next time in the shape of hearts for Valentines Day! THANKS for posting this recipe!