Dicewalking

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Shake us out of our complacency, our routines, our habits. Instead of walking the same way every time we go for a walk (our family is bad like that), we've taken a page out a new book and tried something novel: the dicewalk!

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

The book is The Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith and I'm in love with the ideas and the author — in the teenage "I wanna be like her" kind of way.

I'm not a guerilla anything by any stretch of the imagination though, and when choosing a first activity to try from the book, I picked one that didn't involve putting myself out there (some of the others ideas include a wish tree, a public chalkboard, signs, making slogan stickers, sending guerilla mail, installation art, a sound collage). But maybe, just maybe… M

aybe this book will help me push the boundaries of my comfort zone.

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

But we started with the dicewalk, an activity that involved only ourselves and our own interactions and perceptions of our environment. Maia cut out the die (under the table with th

e baby eating something off the floor in the corner).

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

I had planned to do it myself, but she assumed this was for her, and I was happy to let her t

ake ownership.

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

After gluing the die closed and letting it dry for the shortest amount of time we could get away with, we headed off on the first of three dicewalks of the day.

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

Every time we came to an intersection, Maia would roll the die to find out which way we would go.

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

The dicewalk took us in new directions, on roads and sidewalks we hadn't explored before. Maia thought it was the best thing since pb&j!

Dicewalking Explore with Kids

If you want to go on your own dicewalk, you can download the template for the arrow die here at FamilyFun. I found out about Keri Smith and her books from an article about her in the current issue of FamilyFun magazine. In case you're considering picking up a copy, the ideas in that article are worth the price of the magazine!

Happy dicewalking!

Comments

1. Sarah says

What a great idea. I love that you’re doing this, and I love that last exuberant picture. Happy emploring!

I suspect my boys (husband included!) will love this. I can’t wait to make one (though I think I’ll use a wooden die and paint it). Now if we could just make the weather a little less sweltering.. (:

wonder how many fights I can cause
    the twins to get into with this
    activity!! still, love it and will
    try it. I forgot about that feature
    in family fun in a quick glance
    and haven’t been back to it. on it!
    thanks — and all that yarn painting .
    just beautiful ideas. we needed some
    new stuff to do.

Love the idea, we’ll have to try it once everyone isn’t sick! Especially love the picture of Maia cutting it out — reminds me of that Frances book (A Sister for Frances, I think) where she “runs away” under the table because it is cozy.

Oh! I want to do this. More often than not, I do something similar by allowing my dog to choose which direction we will head. He has led me on many an adventure!

Jean, you are a genius!
    Like everything that you post this is clever, quick and ‘creativity+’.
    Wouldn’t this be a wonderful way to explore a new place or city as an adult?
    x Felicity

Thanks for the great idea. Another way to do this would be with a wooden block and some markers. Some people might go crazy with paper and Mod Podge.
    I love this idea. Does the straight line represent the roller? My son doesn’t walk yet, so the fun of this might have to wait.
    We live in a neighborhood in a small town so our different routes are well traveled. I might add a box of cards with different starting points around our town (e.g. my parents’ house, different schools, churches, landmarks…)

8. Suzanne says

I think this a great idea! I may have to make one and toss it in my purse. Seems like it would be a good way to settle disputes between two boys and which we travel at a summer destination.