These creative activities for kids work well with a group of mixed-age children. Simple, open-ended ideas to explore.
Updated February 2022
Here are creative activities for kids that work especially well for a group of children with mixed ages. We hope you find this list helpful for inspiring creativity in your kids whether during the holidays, family get-togethers, or during play dates.
First, we’ll give you a nice short list of ideas and then expand on many of the ideas. Stick with the short list if you just want a something quick; head on to the longer list if you want a few more ideas for simple kids activities.
Creative Activities for Kids (the quick list)
1. Playdough play and modeling
3. Open-ended drawing activities
5. Sensory exploration and play
8. Get started on holiday crafts
10. Read some seasonal books together
11. Light table play
Creative Activities for Kids (the longer list)
1. Playdough Play and Modeling
- Playdough turkeys (on Mama. Papa. Bubba.)
- Small world play with playdough
- Our favorite playdough play ideas for kids’ everyday creativity
2. Toothpick Construction (lots of different ideas here, including edible ones)
3. Open-Ended Drawing Activities
- Family draw and doodle (cover the table with paper and gather around)
- Observational drawing
- Creative drawing prompts
- DIY art activity pages
- Double doodle
4. Drawing Games
5. Sensory Exploration and Play
- Cloud dough
- Water beads
- Oobleck or goop
- More sensory play materials
- Try a Fall themed sensory bin!
6. Build a Fort!
- Simply use furniture + sheets + pillows
- Fort Magic fort-building kit (if you have one!)
- Straw builders
- Outdoors with sticks and
7. Smaller Scale Construction
- Magnet tiles
- Make a house of cards
- DIY cardboard building toys
- Blocks (of course!)
- Make a marble run
8. Get Started on Holiday Ornaments or Decorations
9. Play Some Favorite Games
10. Read Books Together
11. Light table play
- Remember you can make a super simple light table with a transparent plastic storage box and a string of white lights!
How about you? What are your favorite creative activities for kids?
Pin It for Later