Balancing act

JeansPics_07-2010_Pic1737

It's been a little crazy around here and I haven't gotten much computer time so today I'm just posting a quick photo. The craziness is nothing big — just a baby who isn't napping well and the feeling on my part of being on a nursing/cleaning/cooking treadmill that never ends. Such is life, I guess. And it's all good, really. Just a little frustrating. Anyway, in this photo Maia is balancing her stockmar crayons in a pattern around Daphne's highchair tray. She's really into building with blocks right now and will build a tower as tall as herself. Or a perfect pyramid just for Daphne to knock down. We had an awesome set of wooden blocks when I was a kid and I wish I had something similar for Maia. But she's having fun with the blocks we have.

The dress Maia's wearing is one of these I made for her recently using a too-short striped t-shirt and some zinnia fabric. I cut a circle out of the extra t-shirt fabric and added it as an applique embellishment with the stripes perpendicular to the t-shirt stripes. Does that make sense? I think the detail is nice, but subtle.

There is so much sewing I want to do! My list is a mile long and I haven't really done any since elsie marley's kids' clothes week challenge. I am determined to finish two projects in time for Maia's birthday next month, though: her purple monster costume and a birthday banner.

Okay, that ended up being more than just a photo! I hope you all have a great day. Cross your fingers for me that Daphne takes a couple decent naps!

Comments

“..the feeling on my part of being on a nursing/cleaning/cooking treadmill that never ends.”
    You’ve totally just summed up my life right now. I feel like a house-cleaning, diaper-changing milk bar. How in the world do you manage to stay so engaged with Maia when feeling like that?

Jean, you are not alone! I feel that all I do all day is cook, do dishes, clean the kitchen. Combine that with a demanding toddler and temper tantrums, and oy! Those nap times are necessary for mental health! :)

3. Marnee says

Another feeling your pain – I have a non napping alomst 3 and a non napping 6mth old – milkbar is always open all day all night…add in meals,cleaning,washing and a christening on sunday and I’m right there with you. Should go to bed but miss P will be waking for a drink shortly. Hope you get some naps tomorrow

It’s nice to hear someone else openly say that nursing and feeding children gets a bit tedious:) I love it, but somedays it is frustrating. But I know one day when they are rolling their eyes at me and spending their days on their cell phones, that I will miss these overly dependent years…

Cool picture…love the composition! My wife made a lot of our children’s clothes when they were younger. Now they will hardly even let her buy them an outfit if they are not with her to approve or not. Teenage years, just wait :-).

6. Lauren says

I’m on the same treadmill! Ac tually my littlest is napping now so I need to get off the computer and do some sewing!

Well, ladies, the feeling is universal. I am from Cape Town, South Africa, and we are in the middle of winter right now, which means grey, wet, dreary days on which we can’t stick our noses out of the door. I have a toddler girl of two and a half and my son just turned one yesterday. Milk bar also operating 24/7. Just grateful for your posts – your ideas have come to my rescue on many a dreary day! Did your mini paintings last week and it was hit. Thanks for the inspiration and hang in there – you are clearly not alone! PS would love a post on your decorating style. How on earth do you manage to do all that art and have a white sofa?!

so glad you posted this. been meaning to email you. prob still will. i just wonder how you can do it with the babe. i just had a baby and our art time has fallen by the wayside. im so tired and my 2-1/2 year old has the attention span of a gnat right now so putting together a whole art project takes longer than she’s willing to play with anything. its exhausting and i feel guilty. thanks for showing us a moment. :)