Okay, today is a bit of a brain dump so please bear with me. I have several things I want to share / ask / just get out there and while I should probably wait and give them each their own separate, neat post, I'm not feeling neat today. I feel like I'm spilling over with all of this and if I don't get it down now, it's not going to happen at all.
So, with that said, let's get started on this brain dump…
1. First, I want to thank you all for being here. For being amazing. For joining me in this parenting journey. It's a work in progress – for me anyway. And thank you for leaving little bits of love and ideas and feedback via your comments. I LOVE your comments! Love the conversations that happen here. Go read all the comments on MaryAnn Kohl's interview if you're not usually someone who reads comments. Talk about an outpouring of appreciation and love! You guys are amazing! Thank you.
And thank you for all of your e-mails, too. I love them as well and apologize if I haven't always been quick to reply (or even if some have gotten so far down in my inbox that I've forgotten about them completely. I'm really sorry about that!). I'm turning over a new leaf now, I promise. If I don't get back to you right away, I will sit down and respond to all unanswered e-mails each weekend.
2. Okay, next up. I love the idea of an art pen pal program and it sounds like many of you do, too. While Art in All of Us has an art pen pal program between entire schools (or classes) in different countries to promote cultural understanding, they don't have one for individuals. But how about if we start our own little art pen pal program ourselves for individuals? I would be happy to help with the initial coordinating. If your kid wanted to participate, then you could e-mail me with your contact info and I could help match up kids (of similar ages for example) to get you started. Anyone interested?
Kids could send drawings, paintings, whatever, to each other with or without words/letters. I could see the appeal for kids of all ages. Who doesn't love to receive mail?! Also, it can be fun to collaborate on a drawing through the mail (just as a fun variation to the art pen pal idea). My grandma and I did this sometimes. She was essentially my art pen pal growing up. Once I sent her a drawing of a car and asked her to fill in the people. She added a wonderful, interesting family complete with captions. So fun!
Anyway, whether sharing artwork or collaborating on a drawing with your art pen pal, I think this idea has a lot of potential. Potential for FUN. And I'm all about fun! Okay, so anyone with me on this? Are any of you interested in some sort of art pen pal program?
3. Now that I've gotten those two out there, here's the next… I've been wondering how many of you have started art groups? I feel like I've heard from so many of you, either through comments or e-mails, but I haven't kept track at all. So, consider this a roll call. I would absolutely love to know how many of you have started an art group or are participating in an art group. If you're not a commenter-type, and I know many of you aren't, please send me an e-mail ([email protected]). I want to know!
4. On to number four… I'm still learning about this new blog platform I'm on. I'm still learning about Typepad. I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, so I apologize if I seem a little slow about getting all the kinks worked out. For example, I'm aware that the search button is only pulling up entire categories rather than individual posts. I'm working on that! And I know I still have yet to get my blogroll up on this new site. That's next on my to do list. And, of course, there's that wonky formatting on many of the old posts. I may work on that as I have extra time (i.e. probably not any time soon). Thank you all again for coming over to my new blog! If you haven't already, please update your links and your e-mail and blog reader subscriptions (you can use the handy links in the sidebar)!
5. Oh, and also, please tell me what you'd like to see in this blog. What questions you have that you'd like to see answered. What features you'd like to see. I know some of you have asked some already — such as what are my all-time favorite art activities for kids, what are some holiday gift ideas that young kids can make themselves, what are my favorite art materials for preschoolers and older kids, where's my blogroll, and that you want a search function. I'll work on answering (or providing) these soon. What else? Let me know while I'm making my list…
Okay, how's that for a long, messy brain dump?! Did you get all that?
Here's a recap of what I want from you. Please tell me if you have an art group, if you're interested in some sort of art pen pal program, what you'd like to see on my blog, and please update your links and subscriptions if you haven't already. So bring it on! I expect lots of comments and e-mails…
I promise to keep it short, sweet, and artful tomorrow.
With love to you all!