A Color Scavenger Hunt

Color Scavenger Hunt for Kids

I sent Maia on a color scavenger hunt through our house the other day. It was a spur-of-the-moment idea to keep her happily occupied while I cleaned up the kitchen to start dinner.

I handed her a small bucket and asked her to find 10 orange items that would fit inside.

Color Scavenger Hunt for Kids

She did.

Color Scavenger Hunt for Kids

And was happy to repeat the activity three more times.

Color Scavenger Hunt for Kids

I thought she would hunt all over the house, but she learned pretty quickly that there are multiples of each color in the studio. She brought me bits of colored tissue paper, oil pastels, crayons, chalk, paint, wool, and paintbrushes.

Color Scavenger Hunt for Kids

It would be a good color-recognition activity for a toddler. For Maia it was more about the hunt and the novelty (we hadn't done anything like this before). And it bought me a few minutes to tidy up.

If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments, share the post with your friends, or subscribe to receive blog updates through e-mail or your reader. Thank you!

Comments

What does Daphne do while you are making dinner/cleaning. My 1 y/o is clingy, hard to put down. Does Daphne help Maia with the hunt?

2. Amy says

ooh how fun. then you could have her arrange the items into a composition to take photos more deliberately but like your blog pictures- that could then be printed out and enjoyed like an I-spy book that could be used at another pre dinner time!
    you’ve just got my creative juices flowing, can you tell? :)

I’ve done this before with an egg carton or muffin tin. You can designate each hole with a color. This makes the hunt a bit more difficult since the kiddo is looking for even smaller items.
    But I like the bucket too. . . you could send her off looking for specific shapes too (circles, squares or triangles!) or categories (find me things that have to do with animals, or plants or cooking!).
    We have a list on our fridge of stuff Abby can do during the 4:30-5:30 hour. It is, inevitably the time of day that I REALLY need to be focused on something else and she REALLY can’t seem to find anything to do. Now she goes and looks at the list. I’m adding bucket hunt to it now! Thanks!

Daphne’s generally pretty chill. Maia was hard to put down as a 1 yo, but Daphne is usually fine at playing nearby or playing with her sister.

I did! I asked her if she wanted to make a sculpture with the items on the kitchen table. She did and I took a photo. It mostly looked like a pile of random stuff, though.
    Hm, making a composition that can be used like an I-spy book. Sounds fun!

We’ve done the colored egg carton sections when Maia was a toddler. We used them for collecting nature items (of the appropriate colors) and also for rocks. I forgot about that!
    Yes, I like the idea of having her look for shapes and categories! That might be more her level really.
    Will you share your witching hour list?

7. [email protected] says

I love this idea, and more importantly, I think Stella will, too!

Jean, you have such great ideas. We are planning a “camp” with some friends this summer and this just made the list. It also made me think of the other day I had the kids picking up (the whole box of) Legos off the floor with chopsticks and those little chopstick holder things for kids learning to use them (do you know what I mean?) — another good time consuming thing to keep them occupied while I did the bulk of Lego clean up. :)

Lovely idea. I guess you could adapt this activity in so many ways… Shapes, numbers, letters – things starting with the letter ‘S’ for example. Jade x

10. Claudette Lindquist says

Great idea, I teach 3-5 year olds, and I can see this as a good activity for that child or two who can’t settle into a group activity. Thanks!!

what a great idea! (among many others) :)
    I’ll definitely be sending my munchkin on a colour hunt during one of these rainy days we’re having.

Ah, yes. Most of our “witching hour” ideas are also in the “mom, I’m bored” jar, which I wrote all about here: http://rhubarbsky.com/2010/09/18/mom-im-bored/.
    Add to that: make origami, ride a scooter, get out some blocks, do a maze, and offer to help with dinner! :)
    It doesn’t always work, but she’s learning to realize I can’t be 100% involved in every little thing she’s doing RIGHT then.

My girls like to make this kind of activity as a homemade birthday present for their smaller playmates. They paint each cup of an egg carton a different color (seeing what 12 colors they choose is always the best part), and explain to their friend that the game is to find something with a matching color to put in each cup. It’s fun!

14. dawn says

Just found your blog and love this idea. During the dinner I tell my youngest to go count things in the house or see how many steps between things and give him a ruler to go measure things, all these things keep him happy and busy. I’m going to bookmark this page and come back for more ideas.

Hahaha! I think she made it easier than you think. LOL! She’s a bright kid! It’s a pretty nice way to enhance her color recognition. And she got it all correct! Surely, she enjoyed her playing slash learning time! :)