DiY Playsilks :: Dyeing with Kool Aid

DiY Playsilks - Dyeing with Kool Aid for Vibrant ColorsI finally worked my way into a friend’s house with a microwave to make a set of playsilks. We did our dyeing with Kool Aid which resulted in lovely, vibrant colors.

Aren’t they beautiful?!

I just want to eat them up.

I mentioned wanting to do this Kool-Aid dyeing in my post about dressing up and playing pretend. It’s one that I found on Kristen*Can, with the original tutorial here.

Playsilk Dyeing with Kool Aid

What you’ll need:

Dye Playsilks with Kool-Aid

Rachel and I split my order of 12 undyed Habotai 30″ silk scarves from Dharma Trading Co.

I bought about 20 packets of Kool-Aid and felt a little funny taking them up to the register. Kool-Aid was not a part of my childhood. We frequented the “health nut” coop before it was remotely popular and ate things like carob chips and home-ground flour. I always wanted to be “normal,” but alas, it turns out that buying Kool-Aid does not a normal person make you.

Dye Playsilks with Kool-Aid

We thought we’d dye two scarves at a time in each color, but it turned out that there was just room for one at a time. And the color from the Kool-Aid was gone from the water after one silk was dyed so we couldn’t reuse it. I had to make another run to the grocery store and repeat my Kool-Aid buying experience.

Dyeing with Kool Aid :: The How To

First soak all undyed silks in hot water with a dash of vinegar (we used distilled white vinegar) for half an hour.

Then, for each silk, mix the following in a glass bowl:

• 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 3 packets of Kool-Aid

The kids loved helping with this part.

Then add the playsilk, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for three minutes.

You’re supposed to let it sit for three minutes, stir, then repeat the microwaving and sitting three times total for each silk. Others had commented on how dark the silks get and I wanted to try for a lighter playsilk, so I just did the whole process once for my silks. Rachel wanted to try two rounds of microwaving for hers, although I don’t think the color was appreciably different.

Dye Playsilks with Kool-Aid

After the microwaving process, the silks are supposed to be hung to dry. Then washed in cold water (I put them in the sink with dish soap one at a time–the red bled a little bit) and dried again. For the second drying, I put them in the dryer with a couple of towels for a very short short, cool cycle.

The tutorial also calls for ironing them, which I haven’t done yet. I like the wrinkled look (and don’t like to iron). However, I wonder if it’s part of the color-setting process.

Update: Our kool aid dyed playsilks have lasted 6 years now with little fading.

Dye Playsilks with Kool-Aid

Kool Aid Dye Colors

Here are the flavors of my playsilks from left to right (if I remember correctly):

• Lemonade Kool Aid = Yellow
  • Orange Kool Aid = Orange
  • Pink Lemonade Kool Aid = Pink
  • Cherry Kool Aid = Red
  • Lemon Lime Kool Aid = Apple Green
  • Grape Kool Aid = Purple

We tried for a blue playsilk with a blue Kool Aid packet of tropical punch but ended up with another red. And black cherry looked like it might be purple but turned out to be a dark red with a purple tinge. (I owe Rachel a trade for one of her three reds)

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

We made playsilks before Christmas, and it is lots of fun. We boiled ours on the stove, so it was a slightly different method. I also felt strange buying so much kool-aid. Although I grew up drinking kool-aid, I do not let O drink it!

2. molly says

I was just thinking about a project like this but wasn’t sure where to get the scarves. What fun! Thanks.

3. Rachel says

i second that they are very beautiful! for those of you considering making these, make sure you map out a good chunk of time! it was helpful to have 2 mommies present so one of us could be on child duty and one with the scarves. they were fun to make and the kids loved the bright colors in the bowls.
    so far, my boys and i have hid under them, spread them out, and made them small. i anticipate some forts, hiding them, peek-a-boo games, toting them around in our newly borrowed wagon :), and much more. i’ll keep you posted!

We did Kool-Aid yarn dyeing last year. We also dyed cheap silk that I bought by the yard and then cut up on the bias. Makes nice hair ribbons for girls!

[...] Both of mine love to dress up and even the baby is getting into the act of pretend play. The Artful Parent posted a how-to about dyeing your own playsilks. Apparently you can buy them very cheaply and then use Kool-Aid to dye them. Check it out, [...]

What a great idea! Thanks for the info. I didn’t drink Kool Aid either. It was off limits in our household. Until now I didn’t think anyone else knew what carob chips were. :)
    -Sara

SO funny you mention carob chips I remember (fondly) the first time I ate chocolate, or what I have from then to now referred to as “REAL chocolate”! Carob being from then on known only as (obviously) “FAKE chocolate”
    (sorry carob fans)
    My mom was a nurse and “REAL chocolate” was reserved for birthdays.
    About the scarves…
    THANK YOU for posting both the process and where to purchase them! I can’t wait to do this for my toddler class this fall.
    In PEACE
    Jennifer

Can I just tell you that this blog is totally awesome?!? You are doing an amazing job with it. Thanks for taking the time to share all these wonderful ideas!

9. threesneakybugs says

Nice job! I’ve been wanting to do this ever since you mentioned it the first time. Thanks for the link on where to buy some scarves. Looks like a good resource.

This is on my to-do list. I’ve been waiting for the weather to warm up so we can make them outdoors. Seeing yours make me want to make them sooner. They look beautiful.

This looks like a great idea but I have no idea what kool-aid is! In my head I think it is some kind of powder you mix with water to make a drink but I have never seen the real stuff, I don’t suppose anyone knows if there is a japanese equivalent?

You’re right about what it is. I wonder if you could order it? Although, if you look at the original tutorial that I mention, they list another way to dye playsilks. You could look into the non-Kool-Aid version. Jean

I suppose any dye might work, even cabbages and turmeric, especially if you add the vinegar to help set it. Kool-Aid comes in a variety of bright, fun colors. Maybe that’s why. Anyone else know?

14. tif says

beautiful silks jean! we’ve been camping for 10 days and I’ve missed your blog.
    I dyed silks a few years ago – we still use them almost daily. We made a really pretty blue with kool-aid – and I can’t remember which flavor. It may have been a blue raspberry? It turned a light icy blue.

15. molly says

We’ve been working on dying some playsilks this morning and my 2 year old is having a ball. I must say though, the smell of the Kool Aid/cling wrap is almost making me sick — anyone else feel this way? I was looking around for something less pungent and found this site with an extensive list of natural dyes: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html. We might give it a try next time. And, we would also like to make a blue — it is my girl’s favorite color and we couldn’t find anything that would make a blue in the Kool Aid aisle!

16. caly says

where can i get the silks? for some reason the link you posted isn’t working for the white silks. :( TIA! I so want to do this project

Hmm. I just tried a few different ways to get to their site, but can’t so think that maybe it’s just their site which isn’t working right now. It’s the Dharma Trading Company and their website is http://www.dharmatrading.com. I bought the 8mm white playsilks that are 30″ square. They were about $2.50 each I think.

[...] ago at my parents. Ive been wanting to do this since I saw them here (and then more here). My mom ordered the silks (some 30, some 12) and then I purchased the million [...]

Love these scarves- and what a fun way to use kool-aid ! This post would be a perfect one to link up to “Twice the Fun Tuesday” at my site havingfunathomeblog.blogspot.com.
    Twice the Fun is a weekly mr. linky about creative repurposing that will start next Tuesday (Oct 14.) It would be great to see your post there!

Thanks for the tutorial. I too wanted lighter yet vibrant play silks that were similar to Sarah’s Silks. I experimented and think I have found the answer. The key is not the amount of microwaving, but the amount of kool-aid. Use one to one and a half packages and the silks come out just right. Also the lemon-lime (green) and orange kool-aid colors are too harsh. Use one package of either and mix half a yellow package the result is much softer and is just beautiful! The trick to the purple is not buying grape! But Strawberry (red) and Ice Blue Raspberry lemonade (blue)= purple. Depending on the shade of purple you want mix more of blue or red. A little goes a long way 1/4 -1/2 a packet total is just right. Hope that helps!

21. Patricia says

do you know if you could dye cotton t-shirts using this method? I have a Daisy Girl Scout Troop and we are making troop shirts this year.
    Thanks

Jean, we have the same batch of colors (with a couple of reds, for the same reasons)! Did you find that the smell of the microwaving koolaid was unbearable? I almost couldn’t stand it! But we loved the playsilks so much that it didn’t matter. We also tried dying one with onion skins, and it gave a sort of brownish yellow (very pale). I’d like to try it again with some other natural dyes, but we’d have to give them as gifts because we already have a nice bunch of silks!

Jean, I just realized that I commented on this post when you originally posted it. I thought you had done this before! Anyway, must be in need of sleep. Turning the computer off now. :)

I Kool -aid tie dyed white cotton shirts. The coloring did not hold. However, I did not think of boiling /cooking them. When my kids were little and I had a day care I used the kool -aid to dye homemade play dough. I did let my kids drink Kool -aid, but with the unsweetened packets, I controlled the amount of sugar as well as flavors, which controlled which dye was in the drink. Before I get blasted it was the run in run out drink. Milk with meals juice or water with snacks.

Thanks for such a great tutorial. I just made my first kool aid playsilk and it turned out really well. Kool aid is quite expensive here in the UK so I think I’ll probably revert back to regular silk dyes but I’m really glad I tried it and I was shrouded how vibrant the colours are.