I’m all about making learning fun.
If it’s fun and hands-on, it’s more likely to be remembered.
We all know this, right?
But as with many things, it’s sometimes more easily said than done. I find that I can grab spontaneity by the horns at times, but other times it’s helpful to have a list of concrete ideas to put it into practice.
Here Are 22 Ways For Making Learning Fun
With ROCKS no less.
I’ll start with ways to learn reading, writing, and math with stones, then move on to learning about geology and the natural world. I include some of our favorite books about rocks (Byrd Baylor!), some DIY learning games and activities for preschoolers and older kids, as well as a couple of commercial (but unique) games for school age children.
The Three Rs with Rocks
1. Make Alphabet Rocks with rub-on letters and use them for writing (on The Write Start)
2. Alphabet Rocks Scoop and Spell (on The Imagination Tree)
3. Letter Writing Practice on a Large Rock, the simplest of DIY zen boards! (on Mommy Moment)
4. Meaningful Literacy with Garden Markers (on Playful Learning)
5. Sight Word Pebbles for Literacy Play (The Imagination Tree again)
6. Make Rock Puzzles (on Kids Play Box)
7. Read Children’s Literature about Rocks
- Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor
- If You Find a Rock by Peggy Christian
- Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran
8. Number Pebbles for Counting and Addition (on The Imagination Tree)
10. Teaching Shapes and Colors with Rocks (on Fun-A-Day)
11. Letter Match with Rocks (on Parent Teach Play)
Learning About Geology & Our Environment
13. What Lives Under a Rock? (on Imagine Childhood)
14. Learn About Rocks and Minerals with Kids’ Nonfiction Books
- Explore Rocks and Minerals!: 25 Great Projects, Activities, Experiments by Cynthia Light Brown and Nick Brown
- National Geographic Kids Everything Rocks and Minerals by Steve Tomecek
- Geology Rocks!: 50 Hands-On Activities to Explore the Earth by Cindy Blobaum
- Let’s Go Rock Collecting by Roma Gans
15. Constellation Art with Rocks and Chalk (on Creekside Learning)
17. Learn About Rocks Through Active Play (on Fantastic Fun and Learning)
18. The Work of Scientists :: Reading and Writing While Learning About Rocks (on Steve Spangler Science)
19. Learn About Rocks and Minerals with a Kit
20. Exploring Rocks and Minerals + Mirror Play (on An Everyday Story)
21. Preschool Science: Does it Sink or Float? (on No Time for Flashcards)
22. Learn About Rocks and Minerals with a Game
MORE IDEAS FOR ROCK RELATED ART, STORIES AND GAMES
- Art with Rocks: 18 Ways to Use Rocks in Kids Art
- 5 Story Stones Ideas: Storytelling with Rocks
- 10 DIY Outdoor Games To Make With Rocks
How about you? Will you try some of these ideas for making learning fun (with rocks!) this summer?
Pin It for Later