Tracing and painting shapes

ShapePainting_Pic02

Maia has the croup, poor kid, and spent much of yesterday in a feverish lethargy. But she had a period of midday energy during which she asked for paints and paper. She sat down and traced baby bear onto her paper with a pen and painted in the tracing.

ShapePainting_Pic06

She then started finding other things around her to trace and paint, such as a roll of masking tape and a protractor. This reminded me of when we did tracings on the floor except that she really got into painting them this time. It was fun to watch the process!

ShapePainting_Pic08

The masking tape shape became a donut, then a lemon jelly donut, then she added arms, legs, and hair.

ShapePainting_Pic09

ShapePainting_Pic12

Here are her finished paintings — some incorporating tissue paper triangles left over from another project, some just paint, one with a title.

ShapePainting_Pic13

And here's that jelly donut girl. How fun! I love how she used the traced shapes as starting points for her paintings.

If you wanted to do something similar with your kiddos, you could go on a treasure hunt through the house looking for interesting shaped items to trace. Although the simple ones (masking tape circles, for example) hold lots of potential too, obviously.

Comments

I love that she recovered to paint and then re collapsed! What is the black board underneath her work? We use news paper under painting but I imagine a permanent board would work much better and also be less likely to be eaten/ripped/etc by the wee helper!

I just have to say that sometimes when my kids ask me to paint, I say “no”. do you ever find yourself to exhausted to get out the paint/dishes, anticipating the clean up process? I feel guilty ever saying no… but aside from the tiredness, other times there’s just something else we need to do. Oh well, just thinking aloud.

Yep – I’d like to know the answer too this question too. Have you ‘trained’ Maia to tidy and get her own paper etc. Because I find myself constantly running from paper stash to pinning up the painting for drying to wiping up spillage …

4. Rachel says

thx for the vision for this one- how fun!
    and sorry about the croopiness… we’re very familiar w/croop- call if you need anything!

The black board is a piece of mat board. It’s a remnant from a frame shop that I got for free. They work great for under artwork and for using for art as well. A piece of poster board or just a large piece of cardboard would work, too.

Oh, sure! I’ve said no before. Usually I just try directing her to another project if I don’t want to deal with the paints and/or the studio is not in a condition to be used.

I’m still working on the training part. She knows how (to clean up, hang up her artwork, get her own paints and paper, etc) obviously — she’s five after all and we’ve been doing all this since she turned one. But she still needs reminders and I often end up doing some of it, too. I’m sure if I made a better effort and bigger deal about her cleaning up after herself, she’d do it just fine. Right?! :)