Drawing Lessons for Kids with the Monart Method :: Revisited

Daphnes Lion Drawing using the Monart Method

If you follow The Artful Parent page on Facebook* or if you’re one of my very first Instagram followers (I just started) you may have seen Daphne’s first lion drawing yesterday.

Maia doing the Monart pre drawing exercisesMaia and I were working together on one of the drawing lessons from Mona Brookes’ Drawing with Children (at her special request; we had actually taken a break from the book until then) and Daphne wanted to join in. So we all did the pre-drawing exercises, which both kids love.

Then Maia (age 8) drew a lion from memory and Daphne (age 4) really  wanted to draw a lion, too, but said she didn’t know how and asked if I could help her.

I told her I’d walk her through the lines and shapes that make up a lion, step by step, but that I was confident she could draw a lion herself.

She agreed to give it a try.

I talked her through the “how to draw a lion” process, one of the drawing lessons for kids in Drawing with Children, starting with the eyes and nose all the way to the tail and toes.

Daphnes Lion Drawing using the Monart Drawing Lessons

She did great! And was able to follow along easily although she sometimes looked at my own drawing or the illustration in the book to see how to draw a line when my description didn’t make complete sense to her.

A year ago, when Maia and I were working through the drawing lessons in Mona Brookes’ book, Daphne joined us for the pre-drawing exercises, but showed no interest whatsoever in doing the drawing lessons.

Now she’s obviously ready and interested.

Daphnes Lion Drawing using the Monart Method of Drawing

Daphne is SO proud of her lion drawing! You can also see how she added her own special style to the drawing with plenty of swirls, hearts, and spirals (which fill all of her drawings these days).

Drawing Lessons for Kids Monart Method - Maias Lion

Maia was proud that she was able to draw her lion without instruction and that she was able to make him look fierce by the way she drew the eyes and the teeth.

Drawing Lessons for Kids Using the Monart MethodAll in all, we spent a great hour and a half yesterday drawing and talking and trading marker colors back and forth. We all had so much fun that I think it’s time to get back into doing the Monart drawing lessons for kids!

If you’re interested in seeing my past posts on our experiences with the book, Drawing with Children, and the Monart method, here’s the list:

Drawing Lessons for Kids with Monart

Drawing with Kids using the Monart Method (my first post about the book)

Drawing with Kids using the Monart Method :: Lesson 1 Birds

Drawing with Kids using the Monart Method :: Lesson 2 Lions

Drawing Lessons for Kids with the Monart Method :: Revisited (this post!)

*If you follow The Artful Parent page on Facebook and want to see my posts, make sure to like, share, and/or comment on my Facebook posts as much as possible. Facebook has changed the way my posts appear in your stream. If you don’t interact with the posts, you’re not likely to keep seeing them. Just sayin’.

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

Way to go, Daphne! I love how she incorporated her own styling. I’m intrigued by this Monart Method as Wren has gotten more interested in representational art and gets discouraged when things don’t look how she things they should. This is discouraging to me, of course, because I don’t want her to feel this way. I will check it out!

• says

Hi Ashlea,

I noticed your comment on Artful Parent. I am the founder of the Monart Schools and the author of Drawing with Children. I thought you might like to know that I have just launched an Online Store where you can buy educational materials and projects that are based on my drawing methods. When children become of the age where they wish to add more realistic drawings to their art experience, it is rare they do not need some basic information and structured step-by-step guidance. Monart gives young children and beginners of any age enough structure for success and freedom for individual creativity.

I hope your child enjoys the projects and continues to have fun drawing with me!
      Mona Brookes

Just wanted to let you know that the new site looks great! Also, what fun you all seem to be having with your drawings. You didn’t show us your lion, though. Thanks for all the inspiration.

• says

Hi Lisa,

I noticed your comment on Artful Parent. I am the founder of the Monart Schools and the author of Drawing with Children. I thought you might like to know that I have just launched an Online Store where you can buy educational materials and projects that are based on my drawing methods. Monart gives young children and beginners of any age enough structure for success and freedom for individual creativity.

The lion is a wonderful project for children to do. On my website there are lots of other projects that children love to explore! If you are interested in using the materials I offer, simply go to http://www.monart.com and click on the link to the Monart Store to see what is available.

Mona Brookes

• says

Hi Carla,

I noticed your comment on Artful Parent. I am the founder of the Monart Schools and the author of Drawing with Children. I am so glad my book is inspiring you to draw! I thought you might like to know that I just launched an Online Monart Store. It has projects for all ages that you might be interested in.

If you would like to browse through the store, simply go to http://www.monart.com and click on the link to the Monart Store to see what is available.

Keep drawing and have fun!
      Mona Brookes

3. Elaine says

Hi Jean. What kind of markers do you use? I was just thinking of using the regular crayolas, or maybe pip squeaks. What do you think? Thanks so much for posting this, it is very timely and helpful for me!

• says

Hi Elaine,

I noticed your comment on Artful Parent. I am the founder of the Monart Schools and the author of Drawing with Children. It sounds like you are working with a very young child and thought you might like to know my recommendation for markers. I use a PaperMate regular point black “flair” for all of the drawing lines. I use Dick Blick double-ended felt tip markers for coloring in. I know they are a little more expensive than many of the cheaper children’s markers, but that is one of the major reasons the results of my students are so stunning. Your child notice the difference as well and have such pride in their work. If you purchase these better markers, I recommend you keep them in air-tight Ziplock bags in the refrigerator and they will not evaporate so quickly.

I thought you might like to know that I have just launched an Online Store where you can buy educational materials and projects that are based on my drawing methods.If you are interested in using the materials I offer, simply go to http://www.monart.com and click on the link to the Monart Store to see what is available.

I hope your child continues to have fun drawing and that you can possibly use some of the curriculum from the Monart Store.
      Mona Brookes

Hi. Thanks for your post. My son is 4 and has had quite a few experiences with various art materials, but he very rarely tries to draw anything. No prople, houses, dogs, trees, etc. He still just likes to make “pretty designs.” Do you think this is a good way to encourage him to draw or do you think it would be better to wait until he starts drawing some on his own first?

• says

Hi Kylie,

I noticed your comment on Artful Parent. I am the founder of the Monart Schools and the author of Drawing with Children. I thought you might like to hear my advice regarding your question. I find that four year olds do not need any guidance with their natural ability to create designs and stick figure drawings. However just as with music or reading or arithmetic, they need structure and information to create realistic style drawings.

When I designed Monart, I had the opportunity to work with hundreds 4-6 year olds and was able to give parents and teachers the structure they needed to use with young children. Even if you do not draw yourself you can learn to use my curriculum with your child and help them achieve wonderful results. You do not need for him to become older. He just needs some step-by-step information.

I have just launched a new Online Store that has many choices of projects and parent/teacher guidelines. You might be interested in my Drawing Thru the Alphabet program for 4-6 year olds. They get to learn how to draw the lower case alphabet, the phonic sounds they represent, and some simple drawings of characters that start with the sound of the letter.

Thank you for inquiring about ways to help your child enjoy the magic of drawing!
      Mona Brookes

5. Nupur Johri says

How awesome! I’d love to use these ideas in my small apartment. Thanks for giving your readers a chance to enter this giveaway.

6. Jeanette Millward says

Jean, I know that I’m commenting on an old post, but I had to share with you that I just finished a week long internship with Mona Brookes at her studio in Berkeley, CA. She is truly a lovely, inspiring woman. There was not one question that we could throw at her that she didn’t have an answer to. She has so much experience teaching children to draw. I wondered, at first, if this technique would “stifle creativity”, but it was clear after hearing her stories, seeing student work, and watching her work with the children in her class that it doesn’t. It just gives them the tools they need to really fly! She is just such a dear lady… I can’t say enough good about her.

Hi Jean,

This is Mona Brookes. I founded the Monart method of drawing. I am so happy to hear that you have enjoyed using this method with your children. I have recently updated my website and attached a monart online store. There are projects available for all ages of students and some educational materials that you may be interested in. If you will go to http://www.monart.com and click on the link to the monart store, it will take you to several categories of projects.

I hope your children enjoy some of the new projects on the website!
    Mona