Here’s our quick and easy recipe for how to make chalk paint. Use it for a fun outdoor art activity for kids.
Each spring, we whip up a batch of chalk paint. For us, it’s the time of year where the snow has melted, the days are starting to warm up and it’s fun to move our art outdoors again.
This recipe for how to make chalk paint is super simple and uses equal parts cornstarch and water. (Incidentally, these are also the ingredients for how to make oobleck, but uses a different ratio.)
How to Make Chalk Paint
Time needed: 10 minutes.
To start with, find plastic or metal containers deep enough to mix the materials in the container directly. Gather a whisk, measuring cups & the corn starch plus water.
- Mix ingredients
Chalk paint is a 1-1 ratio of cornstarch to water so this recipe is very adaptable. I like to mix up the paint colors directly in the containers but you might choose to mix up a bigger batch, then pour the paint into the containers for coloring and then painting with. The world is your oyster!
Scoop 1 cup cornstarch into a container. Add 1 cup water and whisk until thoroughly combined.
You’re looking for a liquid /runny consistency.
- Add coloring
Now it’s time to add food coloring or liquid watercolors. We add one color per container and often mix up a whole rainbow of colors!
- Get painting!
Add brushes to your paint whether sponge, large paintbrushes or traditional brushes.
Print out this easy recipe and keep it on hand any time you need it.
Chalk Paint RecipePrint
Learn how to make chalk paint with two ingredients. Add coloring to create chalk paint for kids! This uses a 1-1 ration of water and cornstarch for easy adaptability.
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
- This recipe calls for equal ratios of water and cornstarch. For mixing up 5 different colors, it’s easy to add 1 cup of cornstarch to 1 cup of water.
- Mix vigorously until well combined, being sure to scrape the bottom of the container to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- Now add food coloring or liquid watercolors as desired.
- For additional colors, repeat steps 1–3 in a new container.
Keywords: how to make chalk paint, chalk painting for kids
And now it’s time to get started chalk painting!
More Chalk Painting for Kids
For outdoor art ideas and more ways to play with chalk, see below:
- How to Paint with Chalk Paint for Kids
- Chalk Art for Kids
- How to Make Oobleck
- 21 Outdoor Art Ideas for Kids
- How to Make Your Own Chalkboard
Pin It For Later