Comfy child’s nightgown from adult t-shirt

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2153

I got into a sewing groove with the Kids Clothes Week Challenge and I've just kept going. I *should* be sewing Maia's purple monster costume since we've gone to the store and picked out materials for it (purple crushed velvet!) but I'm a little stumped as to how to make the spikes (zigzags) stiff enough to stick out from her body. So I'm procrastinating with a couple of smaller projects.

This one is a super comfy child's nightgown made from one of my t-shirts. It turned out pretty well, I think. Here's how I did it (since I'm sure you want to make one for your daughter as well, right?).

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2025

The t-shirt I picked out (wrinkles and all) was a fitted tee made of pale pink eyelet knit. It seemed well suited to a nightgown transformation, but I really think any t-shirt would work. This would be fun with a funky image tee.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2026

First, I trimmed the sleeves and armpit areas to cut it down to Maia's size. If you're starting with a larger, baggier shirt, you might want to trim all the way down to the bottom to make more of an A line.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2047

I turned the shirt inside out and pinned the sides that I just trimmed off. I sewed the sides first, angling very gently from the current seam so the transition would be seamless (ha!). Then I hemmed the sleeves. I turned the edge up just once since the knit won't unravel.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2056

And last, I pulled in the fabric at the neckline to make some pleats in the front and the back (and make the neck Maia's size).

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2060
I sewed them on with a double line of stitches at the neckline.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2082

That's all! Now, since I very conveniently had two of the exact same t-shirts (I think they were on clearance somewhere for some crazy low price of $2 or something), you can see the finished child's nightgown next to the original adult shirt.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2151

Maia likes her new nightgown and it fits well.

JeansPics_05-2010_Pic2156

I might make a second one, or perhaps another of the kind I sewed
last year
, since all she has in the pajama department are
longsleeve/long pants and they won't cut it as it get's hotter.

Comments

On the spikes…I made a fleece dinosaur/dragon and used some flat batting from some packaging, and I bet the foam used for packing sometimes would work to. If you don’t have any, you might be able to get remnants from the fabric store or a packing store, since you won’t need much.
    I love the nightgown, I’ve been trying to size down some tees and was having trouble with the huge necklines. Pleats! Genius!

This is so sweet and looks so comfy! I am definitely going to remember this when my daughter gets older (she’s only 8 months right now). Thanks so much!

I know. I want to make one of these for my 8 month old but there’s no way it’ll work with one of my t-shirts. Maybe with one of the 4 year old’s t-shirts!

oh, thank you! i need to make sienna some nightgowns. cotton ones (without licensed characters especially) are so hard to find.
    don’t know that this would be suitable for your/maia’s needs, but i once made sienna a dragon costume based on a martha stewart idea. i used sponges for the spikes! i cut them into trianglish shapes and glued them on. the scales were foil muffin cup liners. this worked great for temporary, short-term use.
    you have been a busy, busy sewing machine! ;)

5. Fitzy says

I would sew a simple pocket shape and fill very lightly with poly fiberfill. Then just sew them into the side seam. It’s going to be cute nonetheless! 20+ years ago I made a green dinosauer out of wide-wale courderoy, long tail running off the back, complete with spikes from the hood to the tail. Spats and handcovers too. Musta been love, lol.

I made spikes for a Brobee (from Yo Gabba Gabba) hat for my son’s Halloween costume two years ago, and I found that the perfect material to make them look substantial and stand up well was good old ordinary plain kitchen sponges – cut to shape and covered with felt! Just a suggestion :)

7. amy says

I made some felt toys (like a mailbox) that needed something to make different parts flexible, sturdy, and washable. I used plastic needlepoint canvas- it can be cut with scissors to any shape, doesn’t weigh much, and is very inexpensive. I can totally envision those dinosaur spikes poking out with a bit of plastic canvas inside them and a little fiberfill to make them a teensy puffy. Another idea is pipe cleaners and fiberfill/wool- if they are really skinny (used these for a bug costume once).

Hi- I’m new to your blog and am super happy to have link-leaped my way to it in the wee hours of the night (or is it say come 5am?). This nightgown is nearly identical to a dress I made for my daughter from one of old shirts. I love the evolution of ideas that extend from the craft community.
    Last fall I made my kiddo’s extra long (she is 4 1/2)and did strikingly similar (though less well executed)pleating on the neckline- it serves another purpose though. I did it so that I could let the back pleats out as she gets bigger. Combined with a variable length this one dress could last for quite some time. She is able to wear it as a shorter dress now with her growth spurt and the warmer weather- and I think by fall or early winter it will make a nice sort of swing-style tunic length top. Perfect for wearing with leggings or the like. At that point I will likely let out some pleats as well.
    I stitched the neckline first as it was cut and set so it was much too big and would have been like a vamp-y V-neck on a wee 4 year old! Then I made the pleats and stitched over them in a zig-zag stitch that would be secure but distinguishable from the original thread lines. Using a contrasting color thread helped and adds a sweet and subtle touch to the dress.
    To bring it back from the fall and winter doldrums my daughter helped pick out fabric for a long pocket on the front. She chose a lighter colored cotton camisole that had a broken strap and stain. So she got a pretty pocket with lace edging and I was able to sew it using a star-patterned stitch in yet another contrasting thread. Now that it is updated for spring and summer she is wearing it once a week again!
    Thanks to you I am all geared up to stop complaining about all pajamas being chemical laden or 2-piece style! I am off to the fabric and upcycling bin to gather the goods for some quick-sew nighties that my bitty girl will be gaga for. Thanks for the idea!
    I am getting ready to redo my blog and I plan on adding the dress project as an example of evolving upcycling as craft and consciousness as one. I will email you a link as soon as I do. Thanks again and I’ll be checking in on your projects regularly!
    Miriam