Guest Post: Beginning Art Journaling for Kids

I am excited to share a series of guest posts with you by other Artful Parents and teachers while I step back from the blog a bit this month! I hope you enjoy the new perspectives, different ideas, and fresh energy that each brings to this space. And I encourage you to leave a comment to continue the discussion, add your own viewpoint, or simply say thanks!

Guest Post by Melissa Taylor

Art Journaling for KidsRecently, I wanted to push my creatively, to find my inner visual artist, so I started an art journal—a journal where I could find both written and visual ways to express myself. (Normally, as a freelance writer and blogger, I'm all about words.) It didn't take long before I realized that art journals would be great for my two daughters, ages six and nine.

Think about it. Kids start expressing themselves visually from the moment they can hold a crayon. They use drawing and coloring to share their feelings with the world in the same way we use words. In fact, kids first understand letters as shapes, not as abstract concepts with meaning and sound. (Which is why we see beginning writers write backwards, reversed, or in mirror images.)

What's more, there is no "right way" to do art or journaling! Which is good for kids and for me, since my journal pages aren't all that um, artistically pleasing—yet.

Here's the thing—I want you to do this with your kids.

Because . . . if you art journal with your kids, you're modeling your own journey as a writer and artist. It's literally the best motivation you can give children. They already want to be like you, right? (teenagers excluded) If you live a writerly and / or artistic life, (most) kids will want to do the same, without you even asking.

Ready to get started art journaling with your kids? Here are a few things to consider.

Space to Create

Have a designated space in your house where your kids can create. Here is one of our spaces. We also have a long card table set up in the dining room which is always empty and ready for projects.

Art Journaling for Kids

Art and Writing Supplies

You want to have your supplies available and ready, access depending on the age of your kids. As you can see from the photograph, I have bins which inside have

• paper (plain, colored, recycled, index cards, lined, etc)
  • stickers
  • glue
  • markers
  • pencils
  • scissors
  • stencils
  • stamps
  • paints
  • beads, buttons, ribbon, fabric scraps

However, I keep a separate tub exclusively for art journals. This includes my daughters' Strathmore journals, old magazines for collages, paints, colored pencils, books for inspiration (Doodle Diary and Bubble Writer,) glue, and scissors. This way, the tub can be carried anywhere in the house for the girls to set up and art journal.

Art Journaling for Kids

Art Journal Pages

Again, lead by example. Sit down with your kids when you can and talk about your process so they can overhear.

"I really want to do something about Christmas, it made me feel so joyful – I wonder about a collage?" (Meanwhile, pilfer through supplies, and continue narrating.) "How about if I use wrapping paper and cut out words from magazines?"

OR

"What if I water colored a page, and then collaged over it? I bet that would look cool . . . Hey, do you want to try that with me?"

There are two reasons I do this.

1. I am not an artist so I have no clue what I'm doing. This feels authentic to me—to explore together.

2. Even if I were an artist, I'd prefer to share process ideas (using different visual mediums) rather than product ideas. So, I'd rather say, let's try using watercolors or let's try to do something about winter than today is the day we all draw houses. But, that's just me. Plus, this is a journal, it's meant to be self-expression. Experiment!

Sample Pages

I started out hoping for brilliant frameable art journal pages like I saw on other people's blogs. That didn't happen.

When I considered why, here's what I realized—for me, art journals for kids (and for us big kids) are more about process and expression that it doesn't even matter how the end product looks. As we will grow in the experience, I know our end products will probably mature and look different. Essential to my life experience is the need to create, maybe it's the same for you. One could argue it's essential to the human experience. Therefore art journaling is about the process of being creative, unrestricted, ugly, pretty, messy, neat, silly, profound, quiet, loud, sad, happy, expressive . . . without judgements.

Whatever happens in a journal is.

Art-journal-collage

Art Journaling for Kids

Art Journaling for Kids

Art Journaling for Kids

Have you art journaled before? What about your kids? Won't you join us in art journaling, too?

Art Journaling Resources

Daisy Yellow Journal Girl Inkstitch Kelly Kilmer (I'm taking one of her classes online and loving it!) Raw Art Journaling The Art Journal Workshop Journal Spilling

Melissa Taylor Imagination SoupMelissa Taylor is a mom, writer, blogger, and educator. She blogs at Imagination Soup, a playful learning blog for inquisitive kids, and freelance writes for publications online and in print. contact info: [email protected], Twitter, Facebook

Comments

Melissa, I think those pages look pretty great! We, too, are more about the process and exploring technique than about the product. My boys don’t really take to journals well for some reason, though, so we have lots and lots and lots of loose pages. :-)

Great post! I journal with my four-year-old. She dictates the words to me, and then she draws a picture. It’s always fun. It’s a good way to see what she is thinking about, and it also chronicles her drawing ability in one book.

Great post and i hope it inspires others to art journal with their kids. I started my son in a bit of art journaling when he was 3- we started Bird Journal–a foray into birding for us. When we see a new bird, we either draw it in his book or collage it in. He draws around it, on it, etc. Now that he’s 5 he is doing the writing along with the entry, where I used to do the writing for him. It’s a great activity for us to do together.

What beautiful pages…they will be so fun to look over and remember the time you spent with your daughters doing them. I still have mine from when I was around 5 years old…decades old and my mother kept them!
    Thanks for the post and inspiration,
    Sarah M

5. Ann says

I just finished dying my playsilks in Kool-Aid. Thanks so much for the idea. I bought my kids a playstand for Christmas and really wanted some playsilks to go along with it, but couldn’t bring myself to pay $10/piece. Plus, the activity gave me a chance to say, “see, this is why we don’t drink this stuff… it contains permanent dye” :)

This is an inspiring idea. I was planning to start a scrap book with my two (age 2 1/2 yrs and 11 mths) where they would each have a page each month, but I love the idea of art journalling as they get older. Can I ask how often you use the journal?

7. Jana says

Wonderful, wonderful! I just go crazy for art supplies. I love the big ol’ block of clay, too, my mom used to use one of those on us as kids. So cool!

I love journals for myself, but never thought of helping my daughter to start her own journal. She’s just beginning to read, and she loves to scribble and write letters on pages. I think I even have some black journals that I could give her to start. In fact, we should start this tomorrow. Thanks so much for a wonderful idea!

we tend to go in spurts of artistic inspiration — maybe every day for a week and then nothing for a few weeks. Of course, it always helps when I pull out my art journal because the girls want to join me right away.

Oh! What a coincidence – the guest post I’ve sent to Jean is about – guess what – art journaling! Great minds think alike is getting reinforced here!!
    I agree about art journaing – it’s such a beautiful way for kids to express with all the freedom and creativity….

Love this post Melissa. I used to keep an art journal and some of the things I portrayed were things I never could completely express verbally… but were perfectly shared through my art. I need to get back to doing that.
    I also think I may try this with my son and see if he can journal about preschool and his relationships with friends. The pictures might be a good jump off point for helping him discuss problems with friends or good friendships he is building. I am always looking for ways to connect with him more and get him to talk (he’s 4). Love this possibility.

12. Dena says

Melissa, I am definitely starting this with my daughter when she turns three!! Thanks for taking the time to share; and what a treasure these journals will be when they are all grown up; for them and YOU!

13. Sara R. says

Great post! We’re working to get our space set up…and then comes a brand new journal and colored pencils.

Melissa, those journals are very wonderful & very neat. My daughter is 3 & my boy is 8. Every time i tried to arrange the art space in our dinning table for them to craft. They just only did so messy, and it was so hard to manage their crafting works. After reading your post, i think i will try it again to make it happens.
    Thanks
    Ricka

Great post. I’m dabbling in art journaling now and really like the feeling of it. My mom doodled all the time and so did I. She took an art class by correspondence and actually let me self study all of her books–I couldn’t have been even 9 at the time. I am 50 now and this quote “Essential to my life experience is the need to create.” is me.

16. Maggie says

What a great and inspired idea, my 4 1/2yrs old son always draws pictures of me and my husband, so I think I can do art jouraling with him. Can u tell me what kind of notebook do u use to place the drawings on it?