Have you tried fabric art with your children yet?
We’ve tried quite a few kid-friendly fabric arts and crafts ideas including using fabric in art projects, printing on fabric, drawing on fabric, decorating our own T-shirts (and other fabric items), painting fabric, glue batik, Sharpie tie-dye, and, of course, sewing with fabric.
First, though, a few notes on MATERIALS for fabric arts and crafts:
Fabric Paint :: We like Jacquard Textile Paint
You can also use BioColor paint for fabric painting if you mix it with the special BioColor Fabric Medium first. It works surprisingly well, so keep it in mind if you already have BioColors. Or if you have been wanting to get BioColors for kids’ art anyway… (I wouldn’t buy them just for fabric art.)
Fabric Crayons :: We use and love Pentel Fabric Pastel Dye Sticks
Fabric Markers :: We’ve used both Crayola Fabric Markers and Colorations Fabric Markers. Both work just fine. We also use regular Sharpie permanent markers on fabric but I’ve heard great things about the Sharpie Brush Tip Fabric Markers and want to try them next…
Fabric :: For fabric to print, paint, or draw on, we generally use a plain white or natural cotton.
A Round-up of Fabric Arts and Crafts Ideas for Kids
Fabric Printing Ideas
- Fabric Printing with Kids
- Leaf and Fern Printed T-Shirts
- How to Make a Heart Doily Shirt
- Printing Leaves on Fabric
Drawing on Fabric
- Making Garden Wish Flags
- Hand-Drawn Pinafore Pockets
- A Pillow Decorated with Sharpies
- Sharpie Tie-Dye Comfort Pillows
More Drawing on Fabric
- Fabric Postcards for Novelty Mail
- Decorate-Your-Own Puppy :: A Fun Art Activity for Kids
- Decorating and Flying Kites
- Tape Resist Fabric Painted T-Shirt
- Glue Batik is My New Favorite for Fabric Art Fun
- Splatter Painting in Our Outdoor Studio
- Spray Painting Canvas Patio Walls
Using Fabric in Kids Art
- Kids’ Mixed Media Art :: Creativity Inspired by Fabric Scraps
- Body Tracing Activity for Kids with Fabric Collage
- Make a Fabric Scrap Collage
Fabric Transfer Art
- Fabric Transfer T-Shirt Art for Kids
- Kid-Designed T-Shirts with Magazine Images
- Kids Drawing Transfers onto T-Shirts
(Want more T-shirt ideas? Here’s my post on 21 DIY Ways to Alter a Shirt.)
Sewing with Kids
- Hand Sewing with Kids :: Getting Started
- Wool Felt Bugs from an Artterro Kit
- Make a Canvas Storybook (From a Kit)
- Making a Purple Monster Costume from a Child’s Drawing
What are your children’s favorite fabric arts and crafts ideas and activities?
This post contains affiliate links.
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy my weekly ARTletter. Sign up here for creativity delivered straight to your inbox.