An easy recipe for blueberry hand pies… (Plus awesome DIY flower crowns!)
We had an artful day today, filled with garden happiness, DIY flower crowns, and yummy, kid-made blueberry hand pies.
First, the girls made flower crowns with brown paper and sticky duct tape, an idea from the lovely Maya*Made.
Then we baked delicious blueberry hand pies inspired by Angry Chicken, using a regular pie crust recipe (from Amy’s cheat sheet) and filled with a simple and tasty blueberry filling.
And then the girls wore their flower crowns and ate the blueberry hand pies. Yum!
Just about a perfect day all around.
And then there was some weaving with the garden loom that Harry made in the backyard. They added fabric scraps, ribbons, and flowers.Print
Blueberry Hand Pies
Delicious blueberry hand pies made with fresh or frozen blueberries and a simple pie crust.
- pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch nutmeg
- Mix the filling ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Roll out fist-sized balls of pie crust.
- Add a couple large spoonfulls of filling to half of each dough circle.
- Fold the crust over the filling and pinch the edges closed with your fingers (or use a fork to press the edges together).
- Use a butter knife to poke a few ventilation holes in the top of the hand pie.
- Brush with egg wash or milk and sprinkle with a spoonfull of sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.