We are up to our necks in hearts here.
We like hearts as art and craft subjects anytime of the year, but as we near Valentine’s Day it seems like it’s all hearts all the time.
Lately we’ve been making heart suncatchers with ribbons and lace and other fun materials and so I thought I’d share a quick post of how we did it.
How to Make Heart Suncatchers with Lace
- Colored construction paper
- Transparent contact paper (you can buy this with shelving liner in grocery stores and drug stores)
- Collage items such as ::
- Ribbons (I look for translucent ribbons in the dollar bin at the craft store)
- Rick rack
- Lace and Lace ribbons
- Washi tape
- Colored tissue paper
- Colored cellophane (or just use translucent colored index dividers as we did with this Valentine suncatcher craft)
- Heart cut outs (we used the paper bits off the backs of foam heart stickers, but you could cut out hearts from paper or use a heart punch)
- Yarn or string
1. Cut heart shape
Fold a piece of construction paper in half. Cut a half heart out along the fold. Open the paper to reveal the full heart.
2. Prepare con-tact paper
Then, cut a piece of contact paper about the size of the construction paper. Remove the paper backing. Lay the contact paper on the table with the sticky side facing up. Center and press the construction paper frame over the contact paper.
3. Add collage materials
Now, press your suncatcher collage materials to the sticky paper in any arrangement or pattern desired. To layer, you can use transparent tape to add elements over each other.
4. Apply second side of con-tact paper
When your design is finished, add a second piece of contact paper to sandwich the collage materials inside. Cut around the heart to create a heart-shaped frame.
5. Hang suncatcher
Now it’s time to hang the suncatchers in a sunny window or give as a Valentine’s Day gift. This is one of Maia’s suncatchers, above.
How to Make Heart Suncatchers with a Washi Tape Border
Alternately, you could make your heart suncatchers with washi tape borders as Daphne and I did on Monday.
These are just as beautiful (maybe even more so!) but a tad trickier to work with.
1. Cut piece of con-tact paper
Basically, you tape a piece of contact paper to the table, sticky side up. Draw a heart on it.
2. Add ribbon & lace
Then, fill the heart area with lace and ribbon and washi tape.
3. Apply second side of con-tact paper
Add a second sheet of contact paper to sandwich the design inside.
4.Trim edge and apply washi tape
Next, trim around the edge of the heart. Then lay a piece of washi tape along the edge of the heart as a frame and to attach it to the window.
The washi tape frame isn’t perfect and ends up being puckered because of the curved edges, but I still think it looks nice.
Pin It For Later