Learn how to make cloud dough with this 2 ingredient recipe. This is a sensory play material kids love!
Updated May 2023
Cloud dough is one of the most popular sensory play materials at my art classes. Kids seem to flock to it!
This recipe is super easy to whip up with only two ingredients. See our easy cloud dough recipe and video to get started!
How to Make Cloud Dough
Time needed: 5 minutes
- Measure ingredients
Scoop 8 cups of flour into a bowl. Then add 1 cup of baby oil (or vegetable oil).
- Mix ingredients
Now mix and squeeze the ingredients together with your hands to incorporate the dough. Once it can be squeezed and hold some form, it’s ready.
- Add coloring
If desired, add a few drops of oil based candy food coloring (see link above–no other kind will color your dough!)
Transfer cloud dough to a bin, then add molds, toys, scoops and other items for kids to enjoy.
Cloud Dough RecipePrint
Try this simple cloud dough recipe with just two ingredients.Learn how to make cloud dough for sensory play.
8 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup baby oil
oil based candy food coloring (optional)
- Measure 8 cups of flour into a large bowl and add 1 cup of baby oil.
- Mix and squeeze the ingredients with your hands to incorporate until the dough holds together when squeezed.
- If desired, mix oil based candy food coloring with the oil before mixing it into the flour.
- Transfer cloud dough to a plastic bin and add toys, molds, scoops, etc.
Keywords: How to Make Cloud Dough, cloud dough, cloud dough recipe
Tips to contain the mess
The easiest way to contain the mess is by moving the activity outside. If we’re at home, I have my kids take off their shirts or wear an art smock so everything brushes off easily.
Catalina of Redviolet Studio shares her two must-have items for messy sensory play:
- plastic tablecloth
- clear plastic bin
She recommends placing the bin on top of the tablecloth or dropcloth to contain any spills. Shake off the blanket at the end of the play session for easy cleanup.
How about you? What’s your kids favorite sensory play material?
More Sensory Play Ideas for Kids
- The Ultimate Guide to Sensory Materials Your Kids Will LOVE to Explore
- Why Sensory Play is Important & 10 Sensory Bin Ideas for Kids
- Art & Sensory Play for Toddlers
- 7 Halloween Cloud Dough Ideas for Kids
- Small World Playdough Play for Kids
- Shaving Cream Sensory Play Ideas for Kids
Pin It For Later