Learn how to make cloud dough with two simple ingredients: baby oil and flour. This is a favorite sensory material kids will love to play with!
Cloud dough is one of the most popular sensory play materials at my art classes. Kids seem to flock to it!
We’ve made versions for Halloween and Christmas along with colored cloud dough (my new favorite). When it’s lived its life as cloud dough, add some water and turn it into cement or mud for extended creative play!
This recipe is super easy to whip up with only two ingredients. See The Artful Parent’s how to make cloud dough video and recipe to help get started!
How to Make Cloud Dough for Kids
Learn how to make cloud dough for sensory play with two simple ingredients.
8 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup baby oil
oil based candy food coloring (optional)
- Measure 8 cups of flour into a large bowl and add 1 cup of baby oil.
- Mix and squeeze the ingredients with your hands to incorporate until the dough holds together when squeezed.
- If desired, mix oil based candy food coloring with the oil before mixing it into the flour.
- Transfer cloud dough to a plastic bin and add toys, molds, scoops, etc.
Keywords: How to Make Cloud Dough, cloud dough, cloud dough for kids
Tips to contain the mess
The easiest way to contain the mess is by moving the activity outside. If we’re at home, I have my kids take off their shirts or wear an art smock so everything brushes off easily.
Catalina of Redviolet Studio shares her two must-have items for messy sensory play:
- plastic tablecloth
- clear plastic bin
She recommends placing the bin on top of the tablecloth or dropcloth to contain any spills. Shake off the blanket at the end of the play session for easy cleanup.
How about you? What’s your kids favorite sensory play material?
More Sensory Materials & Play Ideas for Kids
- The Ultimate Guide to Sensory Materials Your Kids Will LOVE to Explore
- Why Sensory Play is Important & 10 Sensory Bin Ideas for Kids
- 7 Sensory Play Ideas for Toddlers
Pin It For Later