Painting at the Kids Easel with Twice the Paint

Kids Easel for backyard art studio

Some of the resources listed on this page contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase one of them, I will receive a small percentage of that sale for the referral. For more information, see my disclosures page.

Today was a day for painting outdoors. The weather was perfect, so I carried our kids easel out to the backyard, added a new roll of paper, and set out some tempera paint.

JeansPics_04-2010_Pic1157

I put the paint in our new double-dip divided paint cups that just came in the mail from Discount School Supply. Not sure if other companies make these or not. I haven’t seen them around.

I ordered them to use at the kids easel because Maia kept asking for more than just the four colors that fit in her other paint cups. She now often has very specific ideas of what she wants to paint and what colors she wants to use. And she knows how to keep the colors, and their brushes, separate (although she doesn’t always choose to do so).

These divided paint cups are great because they allow you to use twice as many colors of paint! The only problem is that the plastic on one of them was cracked. Hopefully this was a one-time issue and they are not prone to cracking. Luckily they came as a set of 5.

[Update: Discount School Supply quickly replaced the set for me. We've used these paint cups for years now and really like them]

JeansPics_04-2010_Pic1243

Maia painted at the easel off and on throughout the day and we hung her paintings to dry on the chain link fence with clothespins.

JeansPics_04-2010_Pic1173

Here’s something I wasn’t expecting — Maia is apparently still into painting her body! I love the rainbow circle on her belly and the painted fingers!

Completely unrelated, I just put together a facebook page for The Artful Parent. If you’d like to follow me on facebook just click on the “like” button on the top of the page. I haven’t gotten onto Twitter yet, but love facebook. Come on over and say hi!

More Posts About the Kids Easel ::

Note: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you follow an affiliate link and place a purchase, I will receive a small percentage of the sales price and will send you virtual hugs.

Comments

That belly painting is terrific! We painted outside this weekend, too, and I just blogged about it! Great minds think alike.

How wonderful! What a great idea…how odd I haven’t thought about pulling the easel outside.
    I adore the belly painting. My daughter has only done the face so far, but perhaps once we venture outdoors the belly will follow! :)

3. Katherine says

What a lovely garden to paint in! Painting on your belly must feel nice because my daughter loves this too.

This post just makes me want to jump inside those pics…the gorgeous garden setting, cool paint cups, bright colors and that fun rainbow belly. Thanks for the inspiration. I think we’ll be dragging our easel outside today.

5. Barbara Zaborowski says

We use the chain link fence outside our preschool room as an easel so that we can have lots of kids painting at once. We clip the paper up with clothes pins and the paint is in some special stands one of my former partner’s dad built for us. They are shaped like the letter “H” sitting on its side. The top has holes for those white cans frosting comes in. Anyway, if you have a small table you could sacrifice to the paint cans, Maia could leave the easel inside and use the fence as the outdoor easel.

We painted outside this last Friday for playdate. I taped paper all the way around 3 larges trees and brought out my paint cups from Discount School Supply (single colors). The kids had a great time and it really wasn’t messy at all. We left one painting up. What a colorful tree!

Oh! I love that idea, Rachel! Makes me want to have a kiddo birthday party at a park and tape up paper rolls around a bunch of trees. I think that would be awesome!

8. Kim says

Discount School Supply has great customer service! If you call and tell them one arrived cracked they will send a replacement!
    We have two easels and love it! Its so fun!!

so graet!! love that she paints outdoors (we have got to take our easel out there!) and love to see the row of paintings drying on the fence. my fave, by far, is her body art!! go maia! ;)