Feelie Goop with the Toddler Art Group

ToddlerArtGroup_08-03-11_Pic08

Possibly the best toddler art group ever was hosted by Iver (above) and her mom earlier this month. They made feelie goop (2 cups cornstarch mixed with 1 cup water) which feels solid to the touch, but will pour through your fingers.

ToddlerArtGroup_08-03-11_Pic01

It is lots of fun to explore!

ToddlerArtGroup_08-03-11_Pic06

The kids added food coloring

ToddlerArtGroup_08-03-11_Pic14

and mixed and played

ToddlerArtGroup_08-03-11_Pic15

with hands and tools.

ToddlerArtGroup_08-03-11_Pic16

Here it was dribbled to create a feelie goop drawing on the driveway.

This was a great outdoor activity combined with chalk drawing and water play. The toddlers and a five-year-old sibling tag-along had so much fun–it was easily the best toddler art group in a long time!

Feelie Goop is one of the activities from MaryAnn Kohl's First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos. It's also actually the very first one I tried from the book with a one-year-old Maia and a neighbor's toddler, so it brings back good memories and simultaneously reminds me of how far we've come (and all the art we've done over the years!).

Comments

1. halley's mommy says

Oh! This is not meant to be cooked? I just made it but cooked it on the stove, thinking this is how you thickened it… It made more of a playdough consistency. :p

No, this isn’t meant to be cooked. But there are other doughs with similar ingredients (such as “rubbery flubbery dough”) that are meant to be cooked. Perhaps you made one of those?

This is still a favorite around here, even with my 9 and 12 year old boys. It was their choice of activity for the first day of summer break, and they were inspired to do it on a grand scale (we used 10 boxes of cornstarch and a large bin that they could walk and sit in). They were inspired by this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMX_b_m3Js
    And you can see some fun pictures on my ART IN HAND facebook page of how crazy they got with it…full body experience! My 12 year old just walked in the room and told me (again!) that I HAVE to do this more with my toddler classes! :)

We did this the other day and used paintbrushes on the driveway. It was SO much fun that the kids asked to play with cornstarch again the next day – to the point of using it all up! I love how you used it with the toddlers as a group project and let them choose the colors. :)

5. Amy says

We didn’t make it- but we also tried walking on goop at a space themed event- very cool stuff- i definitely want to try making a large batch at home!

6. Gaby says

It’s amazing how something as simple as this can be stretched out to interest a variety of age groups. I saw a science teacher at a Montessori high school use this experiment to talk about solid and liquid. It was fascinating.

7. Angie says

Hi, a quick reply to Anna:
    No, it doesn’t stain the concrete. But it does make your hands very colorful until a long bathtub soak takes it all off.