Fruit Necklace = Fun Snack

Fruit Necklace Fun Snack

If you ask my kids, snacks should be fun, yummy, and portable. And if they can help make them, all the better.

These fruit necklaces fit the bill all around. Plus they are healthy, which makes me happy.

Maia, Daphne, and Marlise each strung their own fruit necklace snack with fresh fruit "beads" yesterday during a playdate. And then they draped them around their necks and proceeded to eat them right away.

Fruit Necklace Fun Snack

This was a spur-of-the-moment idea inspired by cheerio necklaces, popcorn garlands, and all of the colorful fresh fruit we had in the house.

Set up for making these fruit necklace snacks included:

• Washing a variety of fruit (we used grapes, strawberries, and blueberries) and setting them in the center of the table.
  • Cutting two-foot lengths of elastic thread and threading each onto a chunky yarn needle (you could also use yarn or embroidery floss and an embroidery needle).
  • Setting out plates—one for each child—to work from.
  • Starting each necklace with one grape (or whatever) knotted in place to hold all the fruit "beads" on the necklace.
  • Calling the kids to the table.

Fruit Necklace Fun Snack

Here's a photo of one of the yarn needles with elastic thread. I'm not sure where I picked up the yarn needles, since I don't usually have much to do with yarn unless it's part of a children's art project.

Fruit Necklace Fun Snack

The girls were very content to string the fruit. Maia and Marlise each made different patterns with their fruit.

Fruit Necklace Fun Snack -0130

Daphne strung a long row of grapes and then added some blueberries at the end. She called hers a snake, by the way, and didn't want me to tie hers into a necklace loop.

Fruit Necklace is a Fun Snack for Kids

The older girls ate two necklaces each for their snack. Daphne snacked as she worked, then gave her snake to Marlise as a gift.

The fruit necklaces were definitely a fun playdate snack. I think they could be a unique addition to party or a picnic as well.

What do you think? Would you try this with your kids?

If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments, share the post with your friends, pin it with the button below, or subscribe to receive blog updates through e-mail or your reader. Thank you!

This post is linked up to Thirty Handmade Days and to Six Sisters' Stuff.

Comments

1. Lori N says

How much fun and way more nutritious than the candy necklaces I loved as a kid.
    My only hesitation in doing this is the thought that my 4 yr old would take his and turn it into a fruit lasso, running through the house with it twirling around his head…and fruit flying in every direction, going SPLAT. I think this will be an outdoor activity. :)

I love it! My kiddos would definitely dig these, and I am terribly curious as to what would win out for my 4 y/o… her desire to keep her pretty fruit necklace, or her voracious appetite for all things berry. I wonder how long it would last..? I am sure the small one would do as Daphne, and eat more than she strung. Thank you for sharing! And beautiful photos, as always. Love the “snake”, too. :D This is going on our to-do list…

3. Amy Fields says

We have a growing in the garden camp in two weeks and I am so going to make these with my kiddos=). We love to eat around here. The needles can be obtained at Micheals craft store. I do lots of yarn stuff. Get the metal ones instead of the plastic, the plastic can break really easily.

Hi. That is a supercool idea, as was the contact paper stiockers from yesterday. We are going through a very difficult period in our family now, and my daughter needs all the cheering up and distractions that she can get. So some of these “non-messy” but still engaging crafts from your website do help in making her feel more confident. Thanks a lot

Kim, I’m so sorry your family is going through a difficult period right now! I’m glad you’re able to find some ideas here to engage your daughter. If you’d like help finding anything in particular, in the way of arts and crafts activities, please let me know.

Hmm, perhaps you could also plan to make a necklace with non-edible beads that she can keep? THen maybe she won’t feel as torn about eating her pretty fruit necklace.

7. Laura says

What a great idea thank you! my little girl loves necklaces and she loves fruit! Do you think she is a bit too young to have a go with a needle? She turns 3 next month?

Daphne is 2 3/4 and was totally fine with it. The needles we used were blunt, but she use a sharper needle recently (for a real bead necklace) as well and did fine. If you do it with her, I would suggest showing her how to use it carefully, talking about how the needle is sharp (if you use a sharp needle), letting her touch the tip to see how it’s sharp, and then supervising closely at least at the beginning.
    You know your daughter best, though, so I would go with your gut instinct.

9. Alan says

Does it stain their clothes? I LOVE the idea, but that would be my only hesitation.

10. Ruth says

I love this idea…Does anyone have any ideas of what could be used for edible “string”? maybe fruit laces?