Carving a Pumpkin Fairy House

A Fairy House from a Pumpkin!

We've been carving pumpkins a couple times already and both times the girls chose to carve a fairy house from the pumpkin rather than a traditional jack-o'-lantern face.

I blame Pinterest.

Maia, who has been very into making a fairy house and garden in our backyard this year, saw this pumpkin fairy house over my shoulder and fell in love.

Pumpkin Decorating and Carving 02

The first time, Maia's friend Kara was over and they both started off by drawing faces on pumpkins in preparation for carving.

Pumpkin Fairy House 01

But when they decided to make a pumpkin fairy house, the pumpkins with faces were abandoned and all their attention focused on fairy doors and windows and whether ferns or leaves would make a better rug for the fairies.

Pumpkin Fairy House 03

Daphne continued to draw faces, while the older girls scooped pumpkin guts out of their fairy house.

Pumpkin Fairy House 04

Maia decided to let Kara take this fairy house home, so they set it up on a tray for ease of transporting. They lined the pumpkin with the leaf from an elephant ear and the tray with ferns and twigs.

Pumpkin Fairy House 07

Maia used twigs to form the window panes.

Pumpkin Fairy House 05

The girls made furniture and small dishes out of air dry clay and filled them (the dishes) with berries and seeds they found out in the garden.

Pumpkin Fairy House 09

Kara took the fairy house home and place it on her porch with her other pumpkins, but sadly the squirrels decided it was a pumpkin buffet just for them. I wasn't going to post about the pumpkin fairy houses because of that, but Maia is so into the idea that I decided to anyway.

She made another fairy house which we are keeping inside for now.

The squirrels have been particularly voracious this year, breaking into our (uncarved) pumpkins within an hour of setting them on the porch. All our pumpkins are inside now, which makes for a fun living room, but is leaving the outside of our house looking rather un-festive.

Any tips on what to do about the squirrels? This whole business is making me consider buying one of those plastic jack-o'-lanterns for the first time ever.

Comments

Mix hot sauce or chili powder with water and spray it on your pumpkins. It’s usually all natural stuff (hot sauce should be just chili powder and vinegar) and you won’t see it on the pumpkins, but the squirrels won’t want anything to do with it. My mom uses the same spay to keep away deer.

2. Kari says

I was going to say get an outdoor cat, but Heather’s idea is much nicer. :) The pumpkin fairy house is such a cute idea!

3. Sonya says

Our carved jack o lanterns have been demolished by squirrels! Now all is not lost! Thanks for the idea!

The funny thing is that the squirrels haven’t really bothered our jack-o’-lanterns in past years. Have they yours? I’m wondering if we’ve just been lucky in the past or if something else is going on. A squirrel food shortage or something.

5. Dena says

Wow, never heard of squirrels doing this! The hot sauce idea sounds great!
    I just carved a house for Witchamaroo, it’s a story about a tiny witch who lives in a pumpkin that they tell at Naomi’s Waldorf inspired preschool. Naomi gave me directions of exactly what she wanted and then drew her version of witchamaroo onto the pumpkin. It was fun.
    A fairy house sounds lovely, will have to do that this weekend.

6. molly says

I’m not saying it is the way to go but our neighbor (accidentally) caught one in a rat zapper. Looks like maybe hot sauce is worth a try. :)

I’ve never had a problem with squirrels, either, but oddly enough just today I saw a photo in an old issue of Birds & Blooms where a man had cut a hole in a pumpkin just to feed the squirrels in his yard. So maybe we should just blame that guy for introducing the idea to squirrels ;)

That’s a lovely idea. I’m in Scotland and our squirrels seem to be much more polite – we just need to hope that the Halloween decorations aren’t flooded!

I love this idea! My Pinterest time has been quite limited since baby #2 arrived so I hadn’t seen the pumpkin fairy house ideas. I think my son would have so much fun as he is really into imaginative play now (although the Fairy House idea may be lost in translation and they may become caves for his dinosaurs… but I’ll give it a try. I am so ready for something, ANYTHING, that doesn’t involve dinosaurs!) We carved one pumpkin a couple of weeks ago but it rotted in two days. One of the aspects of living in Southern California that this former midwesterner forgets about… every year. But after Halloween it will get cooler and perhaps pumpkin prices will fall and we will indulge in creating fairy houses (or dinosaur caves… sigh…) Thanks for the idea!