We love these translucent building blocks for kids! Colorful, lightweight, and plastic, they can be used in a variety of ways for play and learning.
Updated February 2022
We’ve got to tell you about some blocks we love! They are made out of translucent colored plastic, and they look beautiful with light shining through them. Which means they are lovely to play with on a light table, in a sunny spot, in a window, and even on a mirror!
You can buy blocks like these from Target or from Discount School Supply, depending on where you like to shop.
Our kids and their friends have been building and creating like crazy with these and we thought we just had to share!
Translucent Building Blocks for Kids
What we LOVE about them:
- They are beautiful and colorful
- Translucent, so the light shines through them
- There are so many different ways to use them
- They come with a great storage/carry box
Some things we don’t love:
- They topple fairly easily (if the table is jostled, for example)
- One broke when we dropped it. The top popped off. But it popped right back on easily.
- Because of the one that broke, we wonder if these might be a choking hazard for small children who still put things in their mouths. Something to keep in mind if you have little ones.
- The price is a tad steep, but we have really been loving them because there are so many ways to use them!
Ideas and Inspiration for these blocks
- You can build and stack these blocks in so many different ways. Or you can also sort by color or shape or color sequence (i.e. make a rainbow) and you can layer them to create more colors!
- You can also build with them in many different spots to experience the translucent nature of these blocks. We recommend on the light table, along a windowsill or on the window itself (with sticky contact paper), or on a mirror. If you’re looking for a fun sensory experience, try building with shaving cream or with water beads.
All in all, we love the blocks and recommend them highly.
How about you? What are your favorite building blocks for kids?
More Creative Building Toys for Kids
- The Best Open-Ended Toys for Kids
- 7 Ways to Use Magnetic Tiles
- Light Table Activities: Free and Low-Cost Ideas for Kids
- 5 Easy DIY Cardboard Toys You Can Make with Your Kids
- Craft Ideas for Kids that are Perfect for Pretend Play
Pin It for Later