Craft ideas for kids that can also be used for pretend play for double the creative fun. First, children enjoy making the craft, then they can play with it.
Updated January 2022
If your kids are anything like ours, they LOVE pretend play! There’s nothing better than watching them get into imaginative play and seeing where it takes them. But what about crafts for pretend play?!
You know, for double the fun.
First, get creative making something, whether a cardboard dollhouse, a unicorn from a toilet paper roll, or some melted crayon rocks, then get creative playing with it.
Because we all know how important kids’ play is, right?!
“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.”– Mr. Rogers
And that’s just one of many reasons play is important!
So here are some fun things for kids to make and then play with. And many of these make great gifts, too, from one kid to another.
Craft Ideas for Pretend Play
- Make a cardboard castle or a cardboard dollhouse and play house!
- Or create your own fairy house, from either air-dry clay or cardboard. Then make your own flower fairy dolls to live in it!
- Make a big batch of playdough together
- Then try some of our favorite creative playdough play ideas; you can also set up a play kitchen or some small world playdough play
- Make some beautiful DIY paper wings or a paper play mask and pretend to be your favorite animal
- Use recycled materials to make your own kids’ costume!
- Make fresh flower crowns and necklaces. (Or use colored tissue paper.)
- And melt some pony beads into wands to go with your crowns
- Craft unicorns from toilet paper rolls.
- Build a small world or a magical forest, then bring in figurines to play in it.
- Make a family of hand puppets and put on a puppet show
- Or create a cardboard robot that moves
- Make your own magnetic building set
- Or decorate your own set of wooden blocks for building
- Make story stones then use them to act or tell out stories.
- Try melted crayon rocks (one of our very favorites!) then use them in a multitude of ways for creative play activities
- Draw your own play mat for your toy cars
- Or make games out of rocks to play together.
- Dye your own play silks with Kool-Aid or get creative with a tie-dye kit
- Use your newly dyed silks to play in a variety of creative ways
Any other craft ideas for kids that double for pretend play?
More Creative Play Ideas
- 13 Awesome LEGO Art Ideas for Kids (Fun & Creative!)
- Kids Dioramas and Small World Play Ideas
- Light Table Activities: 10+ Free and Low-Cost Ideas for Kids
- The Best Open-Ended Toys for Kids to Foster Creativity & Imagination
Pin It for Later