Melted Crayon Rocks — A Favorite in Our House!

Melted Crayon Rocks

Aren't these melted crayon rocks beautiful?! This is something we've done a few times over the past few years and is one of our favorites. I could have sworn I had posted about this before, but I guess not.

The rocks above were "painted" by Maia with the melting crayon. She especially loved the light blue and melted the entire crayon down to a nub.

Melted Crayon Rocks

We are lucky to have a good supply of small rocks in our backyard. We gathered a colander full and washed and dried them.

Melted Crayon Rocks

I spread the clean rocks out on a foil-lined cookie sheet and put them in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven to heat up.

Melted Crayon Rocks

Once the rocks were hot, we transferred them one or two at a time to a protected surface to work, leaving the rest in the oven. The table was protected with a placemat, a washcloth, and a piece of foil. Possibly overkill. The foil is pretty necessary to catch the melting crayon and I think a washcloth or towel is wise to keep the hot rock from damaging the table surface.

Melted Crayon Rocks

Have you tried making melted crayon rocks? The crayon melts over the surface of the hot rocks and creates a smooth, vibrant, colorful coating that hardens into a waxy shell. It is so satisfying. A tad addictive even. After working on this batch of rocks together while Daphne napped yesterday, Maia collected a second batch of rocks to work on with a friend.

Melted Crayon Rocks

The melting crayon is so liquid it's like painting with crayons. You can use one color or several. Make designs, swirls, dots, stripes, faces, whatever.

Melted Crayon Rocks

We used a variety of crayons, but mostly these push-up wax crayons, just because they were handy at the time.

Melted Crayon Rocks

Here are some more of Maia's melted crayon rocks.

Melted Crayon Rocks

And some of mine.

If you haven't done this yet, give it a try! And if your kiddos are too young to be working with hot rocks, then do it yourself while they nap. I bet you'll love it.

If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments, share the post with your friends, or subscribe to receive blog updates through e-mail or your reader. Thank you!

Comments

This looks like our kind of fun! My son has a rapidly growing rock collection and I’ve seen many ideas for “story rocks”. Whoever his most loved rocks morph into a pizza slice or an airplane within minutes of each other so I have left them organic. I love this idea because it leaves imagination intact. Just yesterday I read your article about sewing a dress with pockets for Maia because your hands were full of her rocks when she was little. It was especially sweet for me to see this post today. Thank you for sharing.

Jean, I can’t tell you how much I LOVE this project. (I know I say that like every day…) My grandma was a geologist so I always have a special place for rocks in my heart. Can’t wait to try it. xo

I’m so excited to try this. I’ve seen it going aroudn the internet and am waiting for the kiddo to get out of school to try it. I think I’m probably more excited than he’s going to be! :)

4. Ann says

We just made these and it was so much fun! It was interesting to see the difference between the Rose Art crayons which were very translucent and the Crayola crayons which were more vibrant. My son had fun and I like activities which help him develop concentration because he has to be careful. Thanks for the idea!

Jean, I do believe you HAVE posted about this before, because I know I learned about it a couple of years ago from you. You may have linked to another blog about it rather than using your own experience, but I know I got it from you…
    A great project, indeed…my 9 year old loves it.

That’s interesting about how he plays with the rocks. Maia and Daphne haven’t been playing with ours as pizza slices or airplanes or whatever. Rather, they’ve been arranging our rocks into circles and, in Maia’s case, into letters and such.

We’ll have to try coloring them first and then putting them in the sun to see if they melt. Although it’s hard to beat the fun and immediate gratification of melting the crayon on the hot rocks. Perhaps we could take our crayons outside on a hot day and see if the rocks are hot enough to melt the crayon.

We did this about an hour after I read your blog. It was a smashing success. Thank you once again for the inspiration. My whole family benefits!
    much love,
    Amanda

Thats really creative. We have tried melting crayons with a candle and putting them on paper, but this is so much more fun.

I’ll definitely have to try this at home with Aria. We already have quite the rock collection since she insists on gathering new ones every time we leave the house. She isn’t really into crayons all that much as she prefers her watercolors and markers but I bet a project like this might elevate those crayons to a place of honor. :D Thanks for the idea!!

Thanks. We’ve melted crayons and painted with them (with paintbrushes), but it wasn’t terribly successful for us. I think our melted crayon was too cool or something.

12. mama says

They’re really beautiful. I’m concerned about washing them ahead of time because water trapped in a rock and then heated turns into steam that, to escape, will explode the rock (that seems to be a pretty well known idea around, but was a total surprise and scare to us at a beach campfire one night!). Maybe just a very slightly damp cloth to wipe off any larger particles on the rock?

This is such a fun idea. We’ll do this at our next homeschool gathering that happens on a rainy day. It seems like the perfect thing for kids of any age. I’M excited to try it. Our gardens are sprinkled with surprise drawn upon and colored rocks of all kinds, such fun to seek and find. Thank you for posting.

14. Dena says

I love this, nature and art is the best. Wish Naomi was old enough; will definitely remember this one. Thanks Jean!

These look just wonderful! I love rocks and since I can’t help collecting them, I’m always on the lookout for interesting ideas. Can’t wait to try this!

Odd question- but could you do this without an oven? We live in China and no one has one, could you steam them or microwave them? Thanks! :)

17. Renee says

Aillsa – you could make a solar oven – a foil-lined box with a piece of clear glass or plastic on it, placed in full sun for a bit, should make the rocks warm enough to melt the crayons. Be careful to use appropriate hot pads/oven mitts when handling the rocks. My son (9) loves to make these ovens and cook hot dogs on a skewer for his brother (5) and himself. Just a thought.

18. Angeline says

What a GREAT idea! I just came online trying to find some new ideas for my children… I’ve discovered your site and it’s FULL of unusual ideas! We’ve just done this one…so easy, so much fun! Thank you!! : )