Learn how to make this simple and beautiful suncatcher leaf craft for kids using fall leaves, flowers and paper plates.
Updated August 2023
Even though it is Autumn, the flowers are still blooming! We had so much fun making these leaf suncatchers with autumn leaves, zinnias, and other lovely fall flowers.
This is just the beginning of some autumn crafts with fall leaves that we have planned for the Fall!
We’ve made these so many times before and just used contact paper, but the paper plates work so well as frames for the suncatchers! The frame sets the leaves off nicely and offers a further canvas for decorating.
Suncatcher Leaf Craft
- Gather your nature materials
Before you begin, take a nature walk and gather up leaves, flowers and any other materials you’d like to add to your suncatcher.
- Create your suncatcher frame
Next, make a frame for your Autumn leaf suncatcher by cutting a hole in the paper plate.
- Add a center of transparent contact paper
Lay the frame over the contact paper and trace circles to fit over the opening (overlapping the paper plate by about half an inch).
- Press leaves and petals to the sticky contact paper
Arrange the leaves and Fall flower petals on the sticky side of the contact paper. You can make an abstract design, a mandala, or anything you’d like!
*Optional: you can decorate your paper plate frame with crayons, markers, or watercolors, if you’d like!
- Cover your design with more contact paper
Add another circle of contact paper over the top to protect and hold the nature design in place.
- Hang up your Autumn leaf suncatcher!
Punch a hole at the top of the frame and tie a loop of yarn or a pipe cleaner for hanging.
The circular format is perfect for mandalas, like the flower petal ones we’ve made before, but you can also just make abstract arrangements of fall leaves and flowers to bring a touch of the season indoors.
More Leaf Craft Ideas for Kids
- What to Do with Autumn Leaves: 11 Creative Ideas
- How to Preserve Fall Leaves and Create Mandala Leaf Art
- How to Make a Beautiful Fall Leaf Garland
- Autumn Leaves Stained Glass Window
- How to Make a Fall Leaf Wreath
- A Nature Suncatcher Craft for Kids
Want even more Fall fun?
Check out our Autumn Creativity Pack!
This 34-page printable eBook is full of Autumn-themed art activities, drawing prompts, creative play ideas, and more!
Pin It for Later