We’ve been experimenting more with melted bead suncatchers and I wanted to share a beautiful one that Maia made this weekend—a rainbow spiraled melted bead suncatcher!
Here’s how she did it:
First, she strung translucent pony beads along embroidery thread. We’ve all been in bead stringing mode the past few days, but while Daphne and I strung the colors rather randomly, Maia strung hers in rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. Oh, and some pink in there, too.
After filling her length of embroidery thread with the beads, she spiraled them around on the table and told me to come see how beautiful they were that way. I asked her if she wanted to try to make it into a suncatcher that way and she said, YES!
She recreated the spiral on an old metal cake pan and trimmed off the thread ends. (We should have tied off that last pink bead to hold the beads in place—as it was a few fell off the string during the walk from the house to the grill.)
I put the pan on the hot gas grill with the top down. I melted them on high, which is over 450 degrees on our grill, and it went quick. Maybe five minutes tops. Here’s a picture (above) of the half-melted beads after a couple of minutes.
And here’s a picture of the spiral suncatcher with the beads completely melted. I set the pan on the patio for a few minutes to cool then popped off the hard suncatcher.
And here’s the beautiful, finished suncatcher, held up to the light!
Maia and I have ideas for lots more melted bead suncatchers made with beads strung on thread and also on wire (which we’ve experimented with a little, too). I think there’s a lot of potential with the more free form shapes that would be possible with strung beads…
If you’re looking for more melted bead suncatcher ideas, here are my melted bead suncatcher posts so far:
- Making Melted Bead Suncatchers (Basic info for getting started)
- A Melted Bead Suncatcher Mobile (And how to make shapes)
- A Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral (The beginning of our freeform experimentation)
- More Melted Bead Suncatchers :: Free Form Experiments
- Melted Bead Suncatchers :: Beautiful Free Form Hearts
- Melted Bead Stained Glass in Frames — Mondrian Style!
- Melted Bead Suncatcher in an Embroidery Hoop Frame
- A Melted Bead Jack-O-Lantern Suncatcher
- Melted Bead Words
- Melted Bead Fairy Wands
- Melted Bead Suncatchers 7+ NEW Ways (Includes ornaments, die-cut wood frames, spiral mobiles, and shapes within suncatchers)
Note: This post contains affiliate links.