Create beautiful painted fall paper leaves and then assemble them together to create a fall paper tree. This fall craft for kids comes from The Artful Year.
How to Make Painted Paper Leaves
This painted paper leaves activity comes from my book, The Artful Year: Celebrating the Seasons & Holidays with Crafts & Recipes. I think painted fall paper leaves is the perfect craft to do on a cool, crisp fall day!
This is an easy fall art activity that my girls and I have done a number of times over the years and think your family will enjoy it too.
Painted Paper Leaves
Besides creating art and crafts with real leaves, we can take inspiration from nature and paint our own autumn leaves.
- Waterproof tablecloth, place mat, or newspaper
- Paper Leaves
- Droppers or paintbrushes
- Paper leaves (see note below)
- Liquid watercolors in fall colors
- Cover work surface.
Protect your work surface with a waterproof tablecloth, place mat, or newspaper (the paint soaks through the paper leaves and is not completely washable).
- Paint with watercolors.
Use droppers or brushes to transfer the watercolor paint to the paper leaves. Try more than one color per leaf and watch as the paint colors spread and merge.
- Dry painted paper leaves.
Let the leaves dry. Hang them on a paper tree, in a window, or create a garland with them.
Note: Precut leaves can be purchased, or cut your own from coffee filters or paper using leaf templates.
- Draw veins (or any pictures, designs, and so on) on the paper leaves first with crayons or oil pastels, then paint over the picture for a watercolor-resist effect. (The wax and oil of crayons and oil pastels prevent the water-based paint from adhering. This technique is especially effective with a white or light-colored crayon and a darker paint.)
- Do a leaf rubbing on the paper leaf first with the side of a crayon (place a real leaf under the paper leaf), then paint.
- Use a dropper to paint a leaf with a generous amount of watercolor paint, then sprinkle it with salt. Leave the salt on until the leaf is dry, then rub it off.
A Fall Paper Tree
A fun, seasonal way to use these painted paper leaves is to create a tree! Use brown kraft paper or construction paper and draw the shape of a tree; cut it out and attach to a wall. Then, using your new leaves, decorate the tree!
More Fall Crafts Projects for Kids
- Autumn Suncatchers :: Kids Crafts with Fall Leaves
- Fall Leaf Art with Chalk Pastels
- Autumn Tree Art for Kids – A Mixed Media Fall Art Project
Autumn Arts & Crafts Ideas & Supplies
Download our FREE printable idea list of 30 autumn activities for kids & families! Or check out the blog post with the links. So many fun ideas for fall!
And be sure to check out our FALL family fun list in our Amazon store! It includes supplies for fall arts & crafts, autumn toys, Halloween ideas, and picture books about autumn.
PLUS: We’re offering 50% OFF and MORE on our Kids Art Spot Halloween workshops, Fall workshops and bundles. (Sale ends October 31, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST)
Pin It for Later