Make a fall garland for your fall decorating, including fall leaf garlands, Halloween buntings, & Thanksgiving banners.
Updated August 2023
You know how much we love our Autumn arts and crafts around here, right?
If you’re like us, and have started preserving a few of the first fall leaves, then this post is just what you need!
Here is a roundup of some of our favorite leaf garlands for Fall, Halloween buntings, and Thanksgiving banners.
We hope you find some inspiration here as you and your family start your own fall crafting and decorating.
Fall Garland Ideas for Kids
1. Make a simple Fall leaf garland
Decorate dried leaves with Sharpie markers, and then simply attach the stems to a ribbon with hot glue and hang your garland up! You can also try this with glitter leaves!
2. Use upcycled wool sweaters to make a felt leaf garland from The Artful Year.
Wash and dry an old sweater to felt it, and then cut leaf shapes out of the felted wool. If you’d like, you can sew on stems and add details like veins in the leaves with embroidery thread. Attach to a ribbon for a garland you can use year after year!
3. Make an Autumn leaf bunting for kids
This no sew autumn leaf bunting with leaves and wax paper is so easy to make. Use an iron to melt leaves in between wax paper, cut into triangle shapes and hang!
4. Make a colorful garland of melted crayon leaves
Make stained-glass leaves using wax paper and crayon shavings. String several leaves together to make a lovely garland to hang in a sunny window. You can also make a stained-glass bunting with Autumn colors.
5. Create multiple Autumn leaf suncatchers and hang together as a garland
Make this simple and beautiful suncatcher using fall leaves, flowers, contact paper, and paper plates. Then, hang several up together to make a suncatcher garland!
6. Make an apple bunting with this simple printmaking activity
Celebrate Autumn with this simple apple prints garland! Make apple prints on old book pages and turn into a beautiful fall decoration.
Halloween Garlands and Buntings
7. Try the perfect Halloween decoration: a felt bat garland
This DIY bat garland is one of our favorite Halloween decorations. It’s simple to make, by sewing felt bats together, and looks great inside on the wall or outside on the front porch!
8. Or this simple Halloween garland
This is a great way for little kids to get in on the decorating. Draw a few simple Halloween shapes onto cardboard for a template. Then trace your other shapes on cardstock or paper and cut these out. Lay out string and tape your shapes in a pattern. Hang it in a window or doorway!
9. Try this quick and easy Halloween bunting
This easy Halloween bunting is fun to make, uses a few simple materials (construction paper, wax paper, and ribbon), and will get the kids involved, too!
10. Create a garland from these coffee filter spider webs
Coffee filters make the perfect spider web! Cut out a bunch of spooky webs, add a few spiders, and string them up to make a fun Halloween garland!
Thanksgiving Garlands for Kids
11. Make a Thanksgiving garland with thankful hands
Pair finger-painted hand tracings with festive pom-poms to create a Thanksgiving garland for kids. You can write or draw what you are thankful for on the hands as a special family activity.
12. Create a simple thankful bunting to focus on gratitude
Before creating this thankful bunting, sit down and talk with your family about what you are each thankful for. Then write or draw the things you talked about on triangles of paper. Hang them together to make a lovely thankful bunting to keep up all season long.
Which is your favorite? Which of these fun fall garlands would you make with your kids?
More Fall Crafts for Kids
- 30 Creative Fall Activities for Kids
- 15 Fall Children’s Books for Your Family
- 11 Creative Fall Craft Ideas for Kids
- 10 Fall Sensory Bins for Kids
- 10 Autumn Crafts with Leaves for Kids
- 10 Easy Halloween Crafts for Kids
Want even more Fall fun?
Check out our Autumn Creativity Pack!
This 34-page printable eBook is full of Autumn-themed art activities, drawing prompts, creative play ideas, and more!
Pin It for Later