Shaving Cream Art :: Drawing on the Window

Shaving Cream Art - Drawing on the WindowHello, my friends.

This is a post that I started over a week ago about shaving cream art for kids.

Daphne’s been sick, so this past week has been a little intense. Luckily she seems to be on the mend and her fever is finally gone (Which is especially good because I’ve been carrying that little hot potato almost nonstop and it’s been so hot here. Did I mention we don’t have AC?).

Shaving cream art on the window

MATERIALS

• Shaving cream
  • Fingers, hands, and (optional) a paintbrush or spoon

JeansPics_07-2010_Pic1910

After Maia requested shaving cream mirror drawing for the third time in a row, I suggested she draw with it on the window instead.

JeansPics_07-2010_Pic1891

Of course she happily complied! She mostly just wanted to play with the shaving cream and would probably be willing to try it just about anywhere.

JeansPics_07-2010_Pic1903

Again, she spread the shaving cream around, then drew in with her finger.

JeansPics_07-2010_Pic1920

And wrote in it.

I love how the light shines through the shaving cream drawings! This is such an easy project, and feels so fun and messy to children, yet is actually not very messy at all. Clean up is pretty easy and the shaving cream doesn’t leave stains like some paints might.

Let me know if you try this or the shaving cream on the mirror!

Comments

It’s sad to hear that Daphne has not been well. Hope she is better soon.
    We have a great door that had to be taken out of our very old reno house. It is basically a glass door and it’s hiding down under the house. I would love to get legs put on it so we can do activities just like this one. Our windows here are too high up so it’s a bit dangerous to use them.
    Great activity Jean and I know my girls would enjoy it so much. I love seeing the joy on Maia’s face as she uses the shaving cream.

2. Kim says

I’m definitely going to be letting Zoë do this on our sliding glass door. I wash them every day anyway because of doggie nose smudges. LOL Zoë’s been having alot of fun exploring her artisitic side this week with paints, chalk, markers, and stamps. The shaving cream (on a rainy day no less) will likely be a hit.

3. Maria says

Thank you for the reminder. We are going to do this RIGHT NOW!
    So sorry to hear Daphne has been under the weather. That can be so miserable, especially in the heat!

4. Barbara Zaborowski says

This is even more fun with another kid (or you) drawing simultaneously on the other side of the window. Or someone posing while the other decorates their “face”(on the other side of the glass) with beards, hats, glasses, etc, especially if you’re available to take photos of the finished product.

5. Agnes says

My son has sensory integration disorder and has worked with shaving cream during his occupational therapy sessions. We make happy faces, cakes, mountains… it’s a wonderful tactile experience! I agree that it’s very easy to clean up.

Great! will be trying that one soon – just need to find a low window – hmm. makes me realise all our low windows are on carpet. Right – outside looking in might work too!

I’m so glad Daphne is on the mend! It can be so scary and just plain awful when wee ones are so sick! I hope she and her mama feel 100% soon!
    I love this idea! We might try it outside first. While one of our girls is extremely organized and careful, the other is more Jackson Pollock in her approach. It could be a shaving cream frenzy!

8. Kris says

Shaving cream play on a table is great fun for toddlers too and IT helps clean up any crayon marks off of the table as well. We do it in my classroom all of the time. The classroom smells good afterwards as well.