How to Make Coffee Filter Snowflakes

How to Make Coffee Filter Snowflakes

All these years I’ve been trimming 8 1/2 x 11 paper down to a square, then folding it and rounding off the edges to make snowflakes.

For years I’ve been doing this!

And then the other day, Maia grabbed one of our coffee filters (left over from the coffee filter holiday garlands), folded it, and cut out a snowflake.

So quick. So easy. No extra cutting or folding to get it into the right shape because it’s already round. And easy to cut through the layers since it’s lightweight.

Coffee filters make the best snowflakes! Why didn’t I know that? It seems so obvious now. I’ve obviously missed a memo somewhere.

How to Make Coffee Filter Snowflakes

MATERIALS

• White coffee filters, basket style
  • Scissors
  • Watercolor paint (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Fold a coffee filter in half and then in half again, creasing the folded edges. You can fold another time or two, but for the little kids this is generally enough.

Use your scissors as you would with a regular paper snowflake and snip triangles, lines, and shapes along all of the edges of your folded coffee filter.

Carefully unfold to reveal your coffee filter snowflake design!

Paint with watercolor paint if desired to add some color to your new snowflakes.

Snowflakes07

We’ve been cutting many, many snowflakes over the past two days.

Snowflakes08

And since coffee filters take watercolors so well, we’ve been painting some as well which is as much fun (or more!) as cutting them.

Snowflakes17

A few dabs from the glue stick to hang our new painted coffee filter snowflakes in the window and we have a winter wonderland inside and out!

Snowflakes09

Fun times on a snow day!

Pin it ::

How to Make Coffee Filter Snowflakes

Comments

We were planning to decorate our mudroom for our advent activity today. It’s a little room of windows on the back corner of our house, right next to the side street, so pretty visible. I thought we’d do up the windows like a store window display. These will be perfect!

So funny — we did this a few days ago after you posted the garland and I meant to tell you that you inspired it! We only have about 5 in our windows though, must do more, they look beautiful. Also, a good book for inspiration (if you haven’t seen it already) is Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, illustrated by Mary Azarian. We just got it as a gift and it is beautiful as well as really interesting.

Very lovely. Looks like fun to make. We will have to try making some, as they will be as close as we will get to seeing snowflakes here in Florida. Thanks for sharing.
    Colleen:)

Never mind! I should have read the post a bit more carefully, a plain old glue stick, eh? Will that easily dissolve with some windex?

5. Krista says

I was just wondering about the glue stick too. Does that come off better than tape? We just installed brand new windows and I won’t be coaxed into using tape to hang our snowflakes up. Does the glue come off easily?

I had the very same aha moment a couple of years ago with the regular sized coffee filters and then last year we ordered some of the large and extra large filters from discount school supply and we really went crazy! Seriously, order some of those large sized ones and see how cool they look on your windows. Thanks for the reminder…I predict a snow flake making session will be in our near future.
    Here’s the link for those larger sized filters aka Texas snowflakes :)

Thank goodness for your blog! Of course this is what I should be using!!! We have plans to make these next month. Now if I can only remember….

simply beautiful. i can see why this is such a hit. and how lovely that you don’t have to cut out circle after circle. btw, we froze a wreath last night and my daughter was over the moon excited to tell her dad about it when he got home from work.

Thanks SO much for sharing this! We have been making snowflakes starting from squares for years and haven’t thought of this before either! We even watercolored some filters a couple of weeks ago, so I just tested it out and it is easy for children to do. I’m going to share this tomorrow with my art classes. Thanks again!

The snowflakes look great! We’ll definitely be trying this. My girls are getting some liquid watercolors for Christmas. We’ve never tried them before but I’m inspired by all the cool things I’ve seen you do with them. I see lots of snowflakes going on our windows during Christmas break.

11. Alyssa Willis says

I love this idea! We switched over to brown coffee filters and now have a “ton” of white coffee filters! Thank you for sharing your awesome idea!!

great tip! another one that we’ve discovered…we cut over a shallow box or tub so all the scraps fall in there…it makes clean up a cinch:)

13. Michaela says

We just did the exact same thing as you, and I kept patting myself on the back for being so clever, haha! I could never keep up with cutting enough circles for my girls to make more snowflakes, and then they couldn’t cut through the paper themselves, so this was such an easy solution. Yours look gorgeous!

How funny! We made died snowflakes the day before you! I love checking out your site for ideas! Maybe it’s finally rubbing off onto me!

Girl, I could kiss you for this post. I was actually googling how to make one because I had no clue and once I did have a clue, they were terrible!! xoxoxoxo you are awesome and i will be on this tonight with the girls.

Glad you’re going to be giving liquid watercolors a try! Regular watercolors work great for these snowflakes, too, though. That’s what we used and they are nice and subtle.

17. kstemler says

i’m just curious, is there a reason you chose to use a glue stick instead of oil?
    thanks,
    kimberly

These are so pretty! I was searching online yesterday for something to do with the stack of coffee filters we don’t use anymore (new coffee maker)…and this idea did NOT come up! So glad I saw this today!

Dear Jean,
    My name is Laura, and I am the editor of AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com. I am contacting you because I would love to feature some of your craft tutorials, like this one, on AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com. I know my readers would love your content!
    Each one of our craft reviews includes a short description of the project, a byline that credits you, a link to the tutorial on your site, and a photo of the finished project. We also feature links to projects and accompanying pictures in our free weekly e-mail newsletter.
    My email address is [email protected]. Please let me know if we have permission to feature your projects and photos on AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com and in our newsletters, which reach over 110,000 subscribers. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Laura