Looking for winter activities for kids? Here are lots of fun winter crafts, outdoor snow ideas, winter art activities & winter picture books.
Updated December 2021
It’s winter here in the northern hemisphere which means it’s time for sledding, ice skating, building snowmen, hot chocolate, and, perhaps, more indoor activities than usual.
Here’s more than 31 ideas for winter activities for kids to keep busy all month long. This list includes both outdoor ideas and indoor ideas. It’s a mix of snow play, art activities, crafts, construction, and, of course, a winter book list for kids. These are great ways to keep occupied during the winter months!
31+ Days of Winter Activities for Kids
For a printable version of the list, scroll down to the bottom of this post to get a handy PDF version!
5 Outdoor Snow Play Ideas
First up is outdoor play! These are probably going to be any kids’ favorite winter activities because they truly capture the special nature of this season. It’s a winter wonderland out there, so go enjoy it!
1) Make Swedish snowball lanterns
2) Send the kids on a winter scavenger hunt with colored ice sculptures
3) Build a snowman!
4) Host a backyard winter Olympics (on Rain or Shine Mama)
5) Go on a winter nature walk (on How Wee Learn)
5 Winter Art Activities
Now for some indoor activities. But just because you are warm inside doesn’t mean you can’t draw inspiration from the season. Here’s a bunch of fun art projects that your kids will enjoy:
6) Make glue resist snowman paintings
7) Paint winter scenes with this easy snow painting technique
8) Microwave puffy paint snowflakes and snowmen
10) Make a stained-glass bunting (with words & wishes for the new year)
7 Art Activities with Snow and Ice
Or combine the art & play outdoors. Take art projects outside for some truly unique activities that you couldn’t make any other time of year!
11) Build colored ice sculptures
12) Paint snow with spray bottles (on The Resourceful Mama)
13) Make painted ice lanterns (on Willowday)
15) Make glowing snow paint (on Growing a Jeweled Rose)
16) Try this snowy day tissue paper art (on Fireflies and Mudpies)
17) Create a nature ice wreath
5 Winter Crafts for Kids
And here are 5 fun and unique winter art projects that are suitable for all skill levels.
18) Cut and paint coffee filter snowflakes
19) Use contact paper and yarn to make sticky snowflakes
20) Paint with ice (on Easy Peasy and Fun)
21) Use bleeding tissue paper to make snowflake prints
22) Sew paper plate snowflake yarn art (on I Heart Crafty Things)
5 Indoor Winter Play Ideas
And for times when everyone prefers to stay warm here are some ideas for winter play indoors.
23) Build snowmen out of playdough and decorate with beads or buttons
24) Try small world pretend play with fake snow (or real snow)
25) Build and play with a lighted cardboard dollhouse
26) Try one of these winter-themed sensory play ideas!
27) Have a game night
5 Construction Ideas
Kids love to build things, and winter provides its own fair share of building materials right on the ground! You can build indoors or outdoors, and we’ve provided both options below:
28) Build with toothpicks and grapes, cranberries, marshmallows, or gumdrops
29) Make an igloo out of sugar cubes (on Dixie Crystals)
30) Build an indoor fort or igloo
31) Use these brick molds to build the perfect snow fort
32) Build the perfect snowman (from the Spruce)
Read Winter Books for Kids
33) Head to the library and check out some books about winter.
Need some suggestions? Ask your children’s librarian or try some of these:
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner and Christopher Silas Neal
- The Mitten by Jan Brett
- Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
- The Tomten by Astrid Lindgren
- Red Sled by Lita Judge
- Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Richard B. Smith, Felix Bernard, and Tim Hopgood
Would you like a printable version of 31 Winter Activities for Kids to hang on your fridge?
Enter your name and email in the pop-up and receive a PDF delivered straight to your inbox!
We hope our winter activities provide your family with inspiration and ideas for embracing creativity with your family through the winter months.
How about you? What are your favorite winter activities for kids?
More Winter Activities for Kids
- 12 Winter Sensory Activities and Creative Play Ideas for Kids
- How to Make Swedish Snowball Lanterns
- 13 Winter Art Projects for Kids
Pin It for Later