Spin, Spin, Spin Art

Spin Painting  An Awesome Kids Art Activity

Ah spin art. You are so fun.

Have you tried this? You need a salad spinner, paper plates (ours were too big so Maia cut them down) or paper cut to fit, and paint. We tried something called Activity Paints this time, which worked great, but have used tempera paints in the past. And BioColors work well for spin painting, too.

Spin Art Paintings

Use a spoon to add paint to paper plate…

Spin Art Paintings

Close the salad spinner and spin.

Spin Art Paintings

Oh, the anticipation!

Spin Art Paintings

Admire the beautiful spin art.

Spin Art Paintings

Repeat for more spin art.

Spin Art Paintings

Repeat some more.

Spin Art Paintings

What to do with all your lovely spin paintings? Make a mobile!

Looking for more ideas? Here are 60+ painting activities for kids.

Note: I am a Discount School Supply affiliate and the links in this post are affiliate links. I only use affiliate links for products we use and love. If you follow a link and place a purchase, I will receive a small percentage of the sales price from Discount School Supply and will send you virtual hugs.

Comments

First of all, love your new banner and colors! Good choices.
    I Love Spin Art too! Love the idea of the mobile! We’ll have to try one with our spin art creations that we have collected@
    Check out my Spin Art Hearts that I am so proud of:
    Spin Art

I can’t believe we still haven’t tried this. Maybe this afternoon. We need something new for the windows so maybe I’ll try the coffee filters in there.

3. Padma says

Jean..the yellow and purple banner is so cool..we did spin art for July 4th..used black construction paper circles and sprinkled some glitter after the spinning..after everything dried we made a fireworks mobile.

I’ve thought of doing this so many times, but I don’t own a salad spinner! I can’t seem to find one anywhere! Where did you get yours?

5. robin says

it must be in the air! we’ve done about a 100 of these in the past week! we are going to write our favorite memories of the birthday girl on them for an art group friend. :)

so I’ve always wanted a salad spinner, even though we don’t eat nearly enough salads… i keep thinking that if we had a spinner, I would eat more, but….
    My son would love love love this! If only I had a bed bath and beyond coupon with me today, I’d go get one!
    Very great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Love it! That’s our favorite boredom buster. We use the Ikea one at home because it’s so cheap. I want to say $3. It is a little more difficult for toddlers to use because they have to turn the little knob. The OXO is much easier because it’s a push button, but costs $30.

I could kiss you for this! Thank you so much. My kiddos have been sick off and on since Christmas (long story) and your website has been a life-saver! Thank you! xo

I had to go out and buy one!
    I got one from Wal-Mart for about $9
    It’s a pull string one which I think the 3 year old will love!
    Can’t wait to try some spin art!

i love the expression on maia’s face! we’ve been doing spin art, too, and it made me smile to see your table covered in paper. was there a mess? i’ve done this with a salad spinner in the past, and it’s definitely the best inexpensive option, but I couldn’t resist buying a crayola color twister a couple months ago. it’s not too pricey, and it’s easy for toddlers to use.

Thanks for all the lovely comments, everyone! It’s been a loooong day for me — starting in the wee hours of the morning with a sick kid. The girls are finally both asleep and I think I’m going to follow suit shortly.

Ah, every year come spring I think of buying a salad spinner. And I never buy it ’cause it seems to be so limited to just one thing – drying salad greens. Now this is a perfect idea and I’m going to buy a spinner ASAP.

13. Barbara Zaborowski says

“Oh, the anticipation!” is right. I have an electric spinner left from my kids’ childhood that we use at school, but we also have several salad spinners (Goodwill.) My kids (my students, that is) love the salad spinners and I’m convinced that it’s because there’s no cover on the electric spinner. They prefer the anticipation of using the salad spinners, the wondering what they’re going to see when they lift the cover, to watching the art being made in the electric model.

14. Jennifer B says

I assume everyone designates the salad spinner as the ‘art spinner’ and doesn’t also use it for salad?
    We have a salad spinner that we let our toddler use to spin balls, blocks, doll babies, etc. We still use it for salad too though, after a good wash. Not sure that we would be comfortable with using it once it had been used with paint.

Well, ours washes out so perfectly clean, that I have to admit I continue to use it for salads afterward. That said, I would like to get a second one (maybe that $3 Ikea version people have mentioned), to dedicate for art.

16. K says

Oh my gosh. You are so smart. I’ve been really tempted to buy one of those paint spinners at various holidays, because I loved doing it as a kid….
    My daughter’s “job” at night is to spin the salad, which she loves. We are totally doing this today! Thanks so much!

17. sivan says

Did this today and a huge success. Used coffee filters which fit just right into the salad spinner. Surprisingly unmessy. Great idea.

18. jwg says

You should warn people to get salad spinners without holes in the bottom. I learned that the hard way. I also do this with coffee filters because I am too lazy to trim paper plates.

19. christina says

I think that’s cool idea good for little ones, I don’t own a salad spinner but i think i’m going to go to the thirft store to get one.

20. Meemee says

I loved this idea, and did it with my 4 grandkids. (They loved it too!) BUT instead of trimming paper plates I used coffee filters! Perfect size for my spinner. We wet the filter with a spray bottle of water before adding paint & spinning. We experimented with varying amounts of water, spraying again & adding more paint, etc. (Dry didn’t work, the coffee filter just flew around in the spinner!) To dry, we set each filter on a piece of paper with the child’s name on it so they would know which belongs to whom. I needed to peel the filter off the paper after it dried a little so it wouldn’t stick too badly, but that also left a cool print on the paper, which they can use when we start art journaling! THANKS FOR A GREAT AFTERNOON’S ACTIVITY!!