Autumn Suncatchers :: Kids Crafts with Fall Leaves

Kids Crafts with Fall Leaves - Autumn Nature SuncatchersHere’s a quick post for you to share some fall suncatchers we made today with autumn leaves, chrysanthemums, and zinnias…

Just the beginning of some autumn crafts with fall leaves that we have planned once this book is out the door!

Autumn Suncatchers :: Kids Crafts with Fall Leaves

Fall Leaf Suncatchers

The paper plates work so well as frames for the suncatchers!

I wish I had thought of this idea years ago. We’ve been taping ours to the windows forever. But this way, I can just hang them from a hook.

And of course the frame sets them off nicely and offers a further canvas for decorating (Maia and Daphne both drew on theirs with markers).

Suncatchers_2

The center is made from transparent Con-Tact paper. Click through to this post on flower mandala suncatchers to see photos of how I cut and attach it to the paper plates.

Suncatchers_3

The circular format is perfect for mandalas, like the flower petal ones we made a while back, but we didn’t create the concentric designs this time. Just abstract arrangements of fall leaves and flowers to bring a touch of the season indoors.

Fall Leaf Suncatchers

And now, my dears, I must scootch back to the book. Only a few more days and I will send it off!

Suncatchers_6

More Kids Crafts with Fall Leaves

Comments

1. Esther says

This is very cute! I’m new to crafting – wondering if the center is made of something special? Would appreciate any help, thanks.

The center is transparent Con-Tact paper. Sorry I didn’t mention that! We’ve been making so many contact paper suncatchers over the years, I sometimes forget that it’s not something everyone does all the time!
    You can buy it at the grocery store or drugstore — in the aisle with the adhesive shelf paper. Just make sure to get the transparent kind!

3. Jessica Flowers says

I like the frames – a nice new touch! Now if only I lived in a place where we actualyl got to experience fall! (It’s 108 degrees outside right now!) on another note, I’ve been meaning to ask you, Jean, about self-imposed perfection in art. My 3 year old has started critiquing his own drawings to the point that he is so frusterated he cannot finish anything. He will draw and erase or draw and start over, and over, and over.. . . Stating that he “doesn’t like that bump” or “that line is all wrong”. I am concerned and don’t know where he got this behavior (we always talk about how there are no mistakes in art) or how to get him past this stage. Any suggestions?

4. Jenny says

Do you press the flower petals before you make them into suncatchers? How long do you press them for? They are so beautiful and I was thinking of make this the craft that we do at my daughter’s 4th birthday party about a week from now. But the thought of pressing enough flowers for a roomful of little ones. . . !

Hmm. Perhaps try redirecting him for a while to a different kind of art (that he might not have the same level of self-imposed perfection with). Try a more play-based art or action art, like splatter painting, marble rolling, spin art, using wheels or rollers, etc. Or a more sculptural art such as with playdough or clay or building with boxes or popsicle sticks. Or making a game out of art (and imperfection). Like maybe putting on a blindfold and seeing if you can draw without looking at the paper.
    Let me know how it goes!

Yep. First one circle of contact paper attached to the paper plate. Add the leaves and flowers to the sticky side of that contact paper. Then, cut out another circle of contact paper and attach it to the first leaf-covered contact paper, sticky side down. So it ends up being a sandwich with two sheets of contact paper, sticky sides together, and leaves and flowers in between the two sheets of contact paper. Make sense?

We didn’t press them first. Just picked them and turned them into suncatchers. It would be a great party activity! They can even pick their own flowers! That said, they won’t last forever. The flowers and leaves do fade (and sometimes decay) after a week or so. But they are glorious until then. And we even like the faded suncatchers in our home. They are more subtle but still beautiful.

8. Karen G. says

I also want to suggest reading the books Ish & the Dot by Peter Reynolds (can get at the library) w/ your child. The books teach kids to not have to be “perfect” in their art. My son is the same way & loves these books. They have helped. (: